Minerals - What do u use/Cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Hey guys, reading another thread where minerals were touched on and wondered what type folks were using. Here lately I've been purchasing the Dumor Spring brand from TSC for about $13/50lb bag. I've checked with a local feed/fertilizer (Oakley's) and they have so many "types" for mineral combos it will make your head spin and your checkbook run!! Other than Spring, will the basic mineral suffice?

Here's the label:
Dumor Spring Mineral
calcium 13%
phosphorus 3%
salt (nacl) 19%
sodium (na) 8%
magnesium 13.5%
potassium 1%
copper 675ppm
selenium 20 ppm
zinc 1800 ppm
vitamin a 60,000 iu/ib
vitamin d 15,000 iu/ib
vitamin e 100 iu/ib

I don't especially care for the minerals from Tractor Supply, but personal preferrence.

We change minerals depending on the pasture conditions and the time of year. Right now we're using an Evergreen free choice formulated for central Texas, it's called "Cow / Calf " blend. We use the high mag mineral through the spring when the pastures are lush and we have a lot of clover.

We use 3 different formulations of the same stuff. Vigertone for cows on fescue pasture is the basic mineral we use in the winter. Spring the same stuff but high mag, then we switch to the same basic stuff but with IGR for flys. When you throw in the IGR it gets pricey, but we haven;t had any palatability problems when changing from one shipment to another like we have with some other brands.

dun

TheBullLady":k4eyfmxm said:
I don't especially care for the minerals from Tractor Supply, but personal preferrence.

We change minerals depending on the pasture conditions and the time of year. Right now we're using an Evergreen free choice formulated for central Texas, it's called "Cow / Calf " blend. We use the high mag mineral through the spring when the pastures are lush and we have a lot of clover.
i dont know if tractor supply still carry's ragland minerals i like em pretty good. i use co.ops M14 high mag in the spring. then switch over to their 1 to 1 grazing minerals during summer

Is the $13 to $15 range appropriate for a good mineral w/o the IGR? I've been using the Dumor brand carried by TSC. I see that TSC also has a store brand that I have not tried. I tried to find the Dumor website with no luck.

i just bought the purina rain an wind minerals.it has the rabon fly blocker an the anaplaz controler.i paid $25.60 for 50lbs.the reg purina rain an wind minerals was $13/50lbs.ill feed this mineral mix all summer.

from manitoba canada. We used feed rite 1 to 1 with 16% calcium and 16% phosphorus. $26.5/bag

We tried the co-op brand, hay that year was good, in the beginning they did not eat, then they went through it. Dang cows, couldn't keep a fence post standing. Cows can clean a 1/2 mile of fence pretty quick. left the trees alone.

We use Purina Wind and Rain minerals. We pay about $18.50/bag for the kind that has CTC in it. We are going to try using tasco this year along with the CTC during the breeding season and if I can remember, I think it costs about $23/bag. Do many of you out there use minerals with CTC in them?

Arkieman":21elof2g said:
Hey guys, reading another thread where minerals were touched on and wondered what type folks were using. Here lately I've been purchasing the Dumor Spring brand from TSC for about $13/50lb bag. I've checked with a local feed/fertilizer (Oakley's) and they have so many "types" for mineral combos it will make your head spin and your checkbook run!! Other than Spring, will the basic mineral suffice?

Here's the label:
Dumor Spring Mineral
calcium 13%
phosphorus 3%
salt (nacl) 19%
sodium (na) 8%
magnesium 13.5%
potassium 1%
copper 675ppm
selenium 20 ppm
zinc 1800 ppm
vitamin a 60,000 iu/ib
vitamin d 15,000 iu/ib
vitamin e 100 iu/ib
Looks like it's intended to be a Mag mineral to prevent grass tetany. Not a whole lot of phos for when grass matures or goes dormant.
Right Now Mineral has good specs and cattle usually eat it really well.

I use Fuerst McNess bova breeder 6 or 9 and it runs about 20.50 per bag. The 6 and 9 is the phos. content.

What is the primary criteria you use in purchasing minerals and supplements?
a. nutritional formulation
b. brand name
c. relationship with dealer

kyblockhead":1ur5f7iq said:
What is the primary criteria you use in purchasing minerals and supplements?
a. nutritional formulation
b. brand name
c. relationship with dealer

Good question! I'd think it would be solely nutritional formulation. Like I said in my previous post - there are soooo many formulations, should it be that complicated? If you have a "custom blend", why would that blend (assuming you were not feeding any grain, etc) be any different from anybody else? I could see if you were feeding a feed that met certain requirements then your mineral requirements would change, but if they were just on grass/hay, why would you need a "custom blend"?

Arkieman":252reyvh said:
but if they were just on grass/hay, why would you need a "custom blend"?

Perhaps the reference to 'custom blend' means a blend for that area of the country or for specific nutritional needs. High producing dairy cattle have (some) different needs than beef cattle.

I use a mineral formulated for the area where I live. Called 'Beef and Brood Cow' this time of year I use the 'Hi-Mag' blend. Late fall through winter I use the 'Madison Patsure' blend. I buy it at the local co-op. Generally about $11.00 to $12.00 a bag, depends on the week, occasionally get some through an association for a bit less. (different 'brand' name).

Katherine

We use the Vitafirm program. Wife's uncle is a rep and he got us on to it. Great product in our experience.

Mineral is expensive when you look at the per bag cost ($20 m/l), but when you look at per head per day cost ($0.10) it's not real high. From my experience I don't care what it costs, if it works it's worth it. Feed high mag to fight grass teatny (sp) or treat it, have cows clean on their own vs. having to run them in the chute and do it for them, the list goes on and on.

Find a program that works and stick with it is my advice. You'll get a higher return on investment from the mineral than from anything else you spend your money on.

This is my belief on mineral. I buy on nutritional content and try not to pay any attention to company but this is what I have found. You can look at the sources of the minerals on the tag and just because the sources and amounts look the same you wont always get the same results out of the products. To look at COOPs tag it does not look bad but would not work for me. I am talking about comparing apples to apples. What I feed now has worked better than any mineral I have ever fed and I have looked at alot of them. I cant really figure out why it does but just know it does and not going to go back to one that does not to try to save a few dollars per bag. Not pushing any one type at all. Just think for me it is an important part of raising cattle.

Content of course is the most important to me. But I'm going to buy from a dealer that has fresh stock also! I've gotten a bag or two over the years that had bugs, so that would influence what dealer I bought from.

Generally any reputable feed dealer in a certain area is going to keep a good supply of the formulation that works best.

Nutri-Lix 12-12 mineral. Runs us about $22.50/50lb bag.
Got it at first to annoy the husband, but the cows proved that they needed and loved it. Got the first bag on suggestion of local feed store.
Also on suggestion from a different feed rep we keep it in front of them year round.

I luv herfrds":1ol2bvo0 said:
Nutri-Lix 12-12 mineral. Runs us about $22.50/50lb bag.
Got it at first to annoy the husband, but the cows proved that they needed and loved it. Got the first bag on suggestion of local feed store.
Also on suggestion from a different feed rep we keep it in front of them year round.
Poor advice on rep's part to keep same mineral out year round. Grass changes too much.