Minerals: tub or loose?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
What is the best and most economical to use? I am using a loose mineral called Pro-Phos 12. I have been using it for years. I am just baffled as to what is the best product and what I need in my area. This is what they told me to get at the feed mill where I get my grain. The problem is I have to put out just a small amount for the cattle each day because they seem to always empty it and it says they are only to have about 3 ounces a day each. I was thinking about getting a tub so it is easier but I really am more concerned that I am giving the best and correct minerals , but I don't want to waste my money either. I have the analysis of the product but it is pretty much a foreign language to me! Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to add that whatever I put out has to be safe for horses also - just in case they are in the cows pasture for any reason. ( no urea , etc..)
Thank you

Do you buy your minerals from the feed mill where you get your grain.
They will recommend what they sell, whether it is best for your area or not. Many just sell what is the cheapest. You probaly need to add salt to limit their intake. Have a soil sample tested to see what you need for minerals in your particular area.

Your vet will be the best one to tell you what is actually needed in your area. He/she/it(in california) have more experience with the kinds of problems experienced in your area. Go by that recommendation.

dun

Kelly":1xc328me said:
What is the best and most economical to use? I am using a loose mineral called Pro-Phos 12. I have been using it for years. I am just baffled as to what is the best product and what I need in my area. This is what they told me to get at the feed mill where I get my grain. The problem is I have to put out just a small amount for the cattle each day because they seem to always empty it and it says they are only to have about 3 ounces a day each. I was thinking about getting a tub so it is easier but I really am more concerned that I am giving the best and correct minerals , but I don't want to waste my money either. I have the analysis of the product but it is pretty much a foreign language to me! Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to add that whatever I put out has to be safe for horses also - just in case they are in the cows pasture for any reason. ( no urea , etc..)
Thank you

Definately ask your vet.. most any feed store in the area will try to sell you whatever they sell. You also may need to switch minerals at different times of the year.. ie, we put a different mineral out when we have lush grass than what we use in July / August when it's dry.