Minerals Needed

Help Support CattleToday:

TX_Copperhead_Mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I have been a Lurker for a couple of years..but first time to post. I have 4 month bred cows that are on pasture but also supplemented with grain. We have always put minerals in the grain, but now that we have a Momma to be...does she need more minerals?

if you are mixing the right amount of minerals in the feed.she shouldnt need any.but it would be good to go ahead an put out a salt an a mineral block.that way they have free access to it.

We have loose minerals available to our cattle all year long. They are in a tube with three dividers that has a rubber top. They just push up the top and get all they want. It's much easier than putting it in feed. We also change the minerals according to time of year. We use high mag. minerals in my area during the spring and summer. I agree that free choice is best, so they can chose how much they need.

TX_Copperhead_Mom":fi5mozej said:
Hi Everyone!
I have been a Lurker for a couple of years..but first time to post. I have 4 month bred cows that are on pasture but also supplemented with grain. We have always put minerals in the grain, but now that we have a Momma to be...does she need more minerals?

Loose, free choice mineral formulated for your area and individual conditions is a sure-fire way to guarantee each and every animal is getting what they need. Anything else is a crap-shoot. ;-)

Sorry, Bigbull - but I totally disagree with salt blocks for any source of minerals. Cattle would have to lick 24/7 to get any significant amount of mineral that way. Loose mineral formulated for your area is the best - given 24/7/365. A good mineral feeder is a 50 gallon drum hung from a tree. Google "Dun's mineral feeder".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1eu9a96w said:
Sorry, Bigbull - but I totally disagree with salt blocks for any source of minerals. Cattle would have to lick 24/7 to get any significant amount of mineral that way. Loose mineral formulated for your area is the best - given 24/7/365. A good mineral feeder is a 50 gallon drum hung from a tree. Google "Dun's mineral feeder".
i reread my post an i said that she could put out both salt an mineral blocks.right now im using both salt an mineral blocks.i usually use loose salt an loose minerals.the cows rarely eat any minerals.

I've tried loose minerals around here, cattle wont touch em, use mineral block an loose salt.

newrancher":vqof6xar said:
I've tried loose minerals around here, cattle wont touch em, use mineral block an loose salt.

If it's a trace mineral salt block, there's very little mineral in it at all. If cattle won't eat the loose mineral they either don't need it or it's not palatable enough for them to eat it.

Trace Mineral blocks are basically dyed Salt. Read the label on one and you'll soon find out what's in it. A trace of Minerals We feed Sweetlix loose Minerals year 'round.

TexasBred":2q3sp00h said:
newrancher":2q3sp00h said:

If it's a trace mineral salt block, there's very little mineral in it at all. If cattle won't eat the loose mineral they either don't need it or it's not palatable enough for them to eat it.

Some mineral blends are not very palatable. I used to hand mix in salt to increase consumption. Seems like they eat more mineral late in the summer. Not sure if it is training or what.

Needs for salt are probably greater in the hotter weather. As for increasing palatability I'd probably add some cottonseed meal and/or some dried molasses.

Latest posts