Mineral Tubs - What do you do with them?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
We have some empty mineral tubs that we need to do something with. I have about a half-dozen of them in use as water troughs for the calves. But what do you do with the tubs you can't find a use for? Any suggestions?

Now, I'm not any kind of bunny-loving tree hugger, but I don't want those plastic things around my pastures for the next two thousand years. :roll:

When I put in hydrants I put them upside down over the rock so the spray doesn't wash out the side of the hole and trap sand in the rock bed/leach bed.
Potted plants/raised bed garden.

When I have used them, I had plenty of people I know that wanted them for planters. I got some I keep for feed for rabbits and chickens, and for my replacement heifers in a small catch pen.
Otherwise.. I let my trash man haul em off.

I use them for trash in the shop, water or feed, soda cans, you can use them for planters have given some to neighbors use them to soak rubs. I stopped using them and I notice after a few year they crack so I am keeping my good ones for replacements. a friend who use them a lot more than I do posted an add on craigslist and a lady who runs a plant nursery somewhere around here takes all the extra ones he has

The ones I have (few) are metal, old Crytalyx ones. I have 2 for water troughs in a catch pen. 2 overturned ones (won't hold water) in the goat pen, they love to jump on them. And 2 that I have used for raising cucumbers, flowers, etc. The other 2 I had, I gave to a friend who wanted them.

Katherine

They don't hold enough water to be useful, and when they are just sitting, they are a wiggle tail nursery. I pich them. The kids had one on a radio flyer wagon for a muck bucket. Seemed to work for that.

Cut a notch in them and flip them over and they make a good dog house. You can also poke a few holes in the bottom and use them as a spring box.

Boysenberry plants go in them. Rebar painted white for Trellis. I get them from neighbors. Drill a hole in them about 6 inches up the side for a weep hole.

I use mine to hold kindlin wood on the deck.. use as a trashcan and also use as a little trough in temporary corrals. Store rags in them in the shop

Plant any extra 'mater plants in them. Notice they are just the right height for a pesky turkey to steal the little green fruits and peck off the blooms.

The local tire shop let me have a couple of old tires 20" or 22" that the tubs will fit in the center and we feed mineral in them...the bulls have not flipped one over so far. We also use them as water troughs for calves and with the drought we've had the last two years I use them to water trees, just drill a small hole on the side near the bottom to allow water to trickle out. Some around here use them for growing tomato plants.

pour a couple inches ready mix in the bottom , drill some holes around top of cement for drainage , good feeders for rain and wind minerals, cement gives balance so cattle won't turn over.

Some of them have a symbol on the outside bottom that makes the recyclable. We also sell them back to the local feedstore/nursery and they use them in the greenhouse.

The feed store at one time was putting them in this paper like wrapper and it was horrible alot got wasted and when it rained it came apart and minerals went into the ground they immedately stopped using that brand after the complaints.. I suspect the idea for that paper wrapper came from some greenie.

We have some empty mineral tubs that we need to do something with. I have about a half-dozen of them in use as water troughs for the calves. But what do you do with the tubs you can't find a use for? Any suggestions?

Now, I'm not any kind of bunny-loving tree hugger, but I don't want those plastic things around my pastures for the next two thousand years. :roll:
If you still have extras I will pick them up. Please email me at [email protected]