Mineral Supplement Tub For Extreme Summer Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

RBP

Reaction score
What is a good baked mineral tub that is good for cattle during the extreme Texas summer heat?

Is the Purina Wind and Rain Mineral Tub good for cattle heat stress?

RBP> to answer your question specifically, I would suggest one filled with cool water in the shade of a big tree.
I have seen no studies that would indicate the use of mineral as a bovine temperature regulator.
I'm guessing you are into black cattle? Good Luck, LVR

What is a good baked mineral tub that is good for cattle during the extreme Texas summer heat?

Is the Purina Wind and Rain Mineral Tub good for cattle heat stress?
I do know it becomes very soft and they eat it like candy

Vitalix and MLS tubs are less soft than Purina, even in our Missouri summer heat. That said, I don't use them for heat stress, just free choice mineral, water, and shade trees.

I cant imagine any tub helping with heat stress even though its advertised by some.

Most all animals need to be matched to their environment. What's the saying... like a fish out of water.

Agreed. If you're worried about a tub for heat tolerance, you've gone down a wrong path genetically.

Aside from that, the purina tubs are junk. Not a huge fan of most vitalix tubs either. A couple are ok. RIOMAX tubs are great, but the cost vs value added isn't there. If I'm supplementing dead forage or something like CRP hay, I use Rancher's Choice 21% Protein Tub with Chelated Minerals. Copper Deficient pastures and water sources with high iron/sulfur are common here, so the higher copper content really helps. It's important to keep in mind when comparing dry mineral to tubs you need to calculate out consumption. A tub with 1500ppm copper is going to equal to or higher than a 5000 ppm copper dry mineral when you figure in consumption. Chelated or Protein bound minerals are going to be much better than those that aren't. I throw a salt block in the top too. if they are mineral starved let them tear through a tub or 2 or put out good dry mineral first. After that, those tubs will last a LONG time. They are about double the price of vitalix, but they last about twice as long and far better mineral package. If you have to use a tub, that's how I would go, for any reason. But there's no reason for a tub unless you are feeding really poor forage. I typically feed dead stockpiled forage in the winter when I can, and prairie or CRP hay the rest of the winter, so I'll throw tubs out vs dry mineral. Just more cost effective at that point when you combine the cost of extra protein with what I'm paying for dry mineral.

use a VitaFerm heat tub. Made based off K-State study on how to keep fats cool in the summer feeding months. Uses ingredients like capsaicin as a vasodilator to improve breathing and increase sweating to lower body temps. Also includes garlic which deters insects when they sweat it out. We used for several years now with good results. Can feed it in tubs or loose mineral. Just my 2 cents....

https://vitaferm.com/product/?id=1787

use a VitaFerm heat tub. Made based off K-State study on how to keep fats cool in the summer feeding months. Uses ingredients like capsaicin as a vasodilator to improve breathing and increase sweating to lower body temps. Also includes garlic which deters insects when they sweat it out. We used for several years now with good results. Can feed it in tubs or loose mineral. Just my 2 cents....

https://vitaferm.com/product/?id=1787

Unfortunately, in my part of the country sweating often doesn't lower body temperatures. It doesn't work if humidity is so high that the perspiration doesn't evaporate.

You asked about Purina. They have a summer wind and rain mineral, but when I read the description it doesn't mention heat. They also have a wind and rain fescue mineral, which they claim helps. I don't know if there are studies proving it. Fescue causes problems with both heat and cold. It messes up blood flow to outer capillaries, so the heat from the rumen isn't dissipated. That also causes frostbite in the winter.

Black cattle have a substantially higher body temperature than non black cattle when the rate of sunshine is the common denominator.
The willingness of black cattle owners to perceive this fact and take appropriate action (for the problem) however; is not........

Black cattle have a substantially higher body temperature than non black cattle when the rate of sunshine is the common denominator.
The willingness of black cattle owners to perceive this fact and take appropriate action (for the problem) however; is not........

In some parts of the country (like mine) that isn't enough to make up for the added dollars we get when we sell black cattle . . . especially when they have enough Brahman blood that they don't care if it's hot.

Unfortunately, in my part of the country sweating often doesn't lower body temperatures. It doesn't work if humidity is so high that the perspiration doesn't evaporate.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't survive a summer like that. Hardy people and cattle for sure!

Sorry reply fail. I dont post here much and Phone messed up and somehow attributed that quote to Rafter.

I'm the softy that wouldn't survive that type of heat. Just for the record.

I don't think this is what the original post was asking for but I ran across this product claiming to reduce heat stress and increase feed intake.
I have no personal knowledge about this product or its claims.

Latest posts