Mineral suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

bullred

Reaction score
I presently keep out trace mineral blocks and a 25% protein tub (which has some trace minerals in it) for my 25 tigerstripe cows. Should I be using loose minerals in addition to, or instead of, the mineral blocks? What are y'alls opinions regarding blocks vs. loose minerals? Thanks in advance.

CJ

What does the protein tub maker recommend? There are many protein tub makers that provide adequate mineral for your heard.
If it was me and I had to feed a tub with inadequate/trace mineral , I would supplement with a loose mineral but I would make sure it didnt effect the amount of protein the cattle were suppose to consume from the protein tub.

I still keep the Mineral feeder full, even when I'm feeding Tubs. It's Hi-Mag, but the consumption rate drops when the Tubs are out at the same time.

Trace mineral blocks are so cheap why NOT have them out??? The only time I have ever pulled trace mineral blocks is when putting out those Safeguard worm blocks in their place.

Brandonm2":1h0kd2om said:
Trace mineral blocks are so cheap why NOT have them out??? The only time I have ever pulled trace mineral blocks is when putting out those Safeguard worm blocks in their place.
They're cheap because all they are is dyed salt. Better off just putting out white salt and saving a buck a block.

I use and recomend loose. Right now mineral program by Cargill. use the IGR during fly season. Trace blocks are actually more expensive if you figure the amount of mineral you are getting. most I have seen are 3% and will not come close to filling the cows needs.

Scotty

I use loose mineral, free choice. Loose salt or a salt block whatever I have out at the time. The trace mineral blocks are just that "trace" , a trace amount. I don't use protein tubs at present, but, if that too has "trace" minerals, why not have loose minerals available to ensure the cows are getting what they need. Just my 2 cents.

Katherine

I keep Tigerstripe Cows and a Charlois Bull in Navarro County and have all of the following available free choice for my cattle. Cargill Right Now Loose Minerals, Sweetix Natural Protein Tub, White Salt Block, Brown Salt Block "Mineral", Yellow Salt Block "Sulphur". The Cattle seem to prefer these items in the following order, based on consumption rate.
1. Sweetix Natural Protein Tub
2. Brown Salt Block "Mineral"
3. Cargill Right Now Loose Minerals
4. All others rank evenly at #4.

Texas Ranch Man":1ce457rm said:
I keep Tigerstripe Cows and a Charlois Bull in Navarro County and have all of the following available free choice for my cattle. Cargill Right Now Loose Minerals, Sweetix Natural Protein Tub, White Salt Block, Brown Salt Block "Mineral", Yellow Salt Block "Sulphur". The Cattle seem to prefer these items in the following order, based on consumption rate.
1. Sweetix Natural Protein Tub
2. Brown Salt Block "Mineral"
3. Cargill Right Now Loose Minerals
4. All others rank evenly at #4.

Looks to me like you have all your bases covered. Now if you just make sure they have plenty of grass, clean water and hay I think they should be ok.

I agree with Texas Ranch Man. I put out Sweetlix tub, loose minerals, salt block and a mineral block. I leave a roll of coastal in the hay ring and put out some range cubes out once or twice a week. I think if the animal needs something, they will find the source from this combination. Haven't had one single complaint from my cows! :D

I put out Purina Mills wind and rain 12 12 loose mineral for my cows the other day. Does anyone know if it's ok for my horses to have access to it? I've been told it'll be ok but just wanted some more input on it.

I specifically asked the mineral rep that same question, is it safe for horses. He said it was. I've noticed them at the mineral trough here n there, but OH MAN do they look good now. Their coat is more shiney, they have picked up weight, (they are just on pasture) I started out with the purina 12-12 then changed to MG 12-12 it's so close to bein the same ingredients, but the price was Purina 15.95 to MG 12.00. Looks the same, smells the same, just a lil difference in % of salt content.

I feed loose mineral.

I read the labels of all the minerals.... I want a mineral that has the vitamins A, D, E in it as well as magnesium, selenium, calcium, phosphorous (and there are different types of calcium/phosphorous).

I had been feeding wind n rain, but just last month got a bag from MFA and I think it has more of what I want in it.

I don't have that many cattle/calves (only twentyeight) and its important to me that the cow breed back no later than 60 days after calving and I think the answer is in the vitamin/mineral supplements. I could be chasing the wrong rainbow but I'm having good results with it. Also, I have some bulls I use as lease bulls and when they come back after a 90 day lease, I feel they need those extra vitamins/minerals to build up before they go out again and I may only have them back a very short time before they are gone again.

I noticed a few of you folks put out protein tubs. Is their something about Tigerstripe cows that makes them need protein supplements or is this a winter thing while they are on hay? I just never heard of feeding protein supplements year round.

S.R.R.":1fdxxqfb said:
I noticed a few of you folks put out protein tubs. Is their something about Tigerstripe cows that makes them need protein supplements or is this a winter thing while they are on hay? I just never heard of feeding protein supplements year round.
We only feed Tubs in the late Fall thru Winter. I keep minerals out all year round.It's got nothing to do with Tigerstripes. It's got everything to do with keeping Cattle in sound condition and health.We have good quality hay, but in my opinion, it's not enough for them to get hay alone.

Latest posts