MINERAL QUESTION

Help Support CattleToday:

BTRANCH

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but here goes....

We bought the weather vane type mineral feeders and have been putting loose minerals out with good results.

The question is: when I went to buy minerals at Tractor Supply, there were 2 types. One was general and the other range. I don't remember what I had been buying so we flipped the bag over and read the back. One said specifically NOT to feed to lactating cows but the other did not. SO, does that mean I CAN feed to lactating cows?

I realize this is a very basic question that I probably should know the answer to, but I would never assume anything that would jeapordize my cows or their precious babies.

Please be nice when you reply.

BTRANCH":2wuaih0b said:
This may sound stupid, but here goes....

We bought the weather vane type mineral feeders and have been putting loose minerals out with good results.

The question is: when I went to but minerals at Tractor Supply, there were 2 types. One was general and the other range. I don't remember what I had been buying so we flipped the bag over and read the back. One said specifically NOT to feed to lactating cows but the other did not. SO, does that mean I CAN feed to lactating cows?

I realize this is a very basic question that I probably should know the answer to, but I would never assume anything that would jeapordize my cows or their precious babies.

Please be nice when you reply.

If there is no specific warning on the bag/label I would say it's safe to feed.

Surely you can find better Minerals than what TSC has to offer.

Give your local independant Feed Store a call, ask them what brands they carry and recommend. If he/she owns Cattle, what Minerals do they use?What are your neighbors using? Most importantly, you want a Mineral suited for the needs of Cattle in your neck of the woods.There's quite a few brands of Minerals out there that are trusted names that aren't gonna turn your wallet inside out to pay for their fancy national Advertising

I have used Mooremans and The right now program. I use th RNP becasue of my local dealer.(like Crowder stated). I have had great conception and the cows like it. It is only 3 bucks a bag more thanthe saw dust they have in the other bags.

BT.....that mineral you bought may have had Rumensin (Monensin) in it. Most carry a warning not to feed to lactating cattle. Really all it means is not to feed to lactating cattle producing milk for human consumption. The tag warning is not real clear and if it contains Monensin the mineral won't hurt your cows or your babies. It will be very good for both.

It really doesn't matter what brand of mineral you use as long as it contains what you're cattle need. I know where your community is and you don't need a lot of calcium in your mineral so don't buy one that is too high. Make sure the tag shows some plant protein products in the list of ingredients and the cattle should eat it ok. If you're grazing any wheat or oats I'd feed a Hi-Mag Mineral, otherwise just a good 12-12-12 would be fine. Just make sure the zinc manganese, copper, iodine and vitamin levels are adequate.

Ive used alot of different ones. As far as I know it would be safe. TSC is a little over priced. I get 37% protein mineral blocks (40 lbs.) for 5.50 from the Amish here in my area. I dont really like dealing with the guys who run the business, but its cheap. However, I use another independent feedmill for TUBs, they are sweetlix 40$ for 200lbs. I also like Triple Trust mag loose mineral. Its 9.95 for 50lbs.

We use Ultralyx that is specially formulated for a large Angus farm nearby and contains chelated trace minerals. We started this several years ago because our black cattle had some rust colored hair on the top line. A nutritionist said it was probably a copper deficiency even though our mineral had adequate copper. When we added the chelates the first year I didn't really see much difference and thought that the rust may be due to the sun (I stated that in a past post). But now, after several years of use and the terrible hot and dry summers we have had, we no longer have any rust. So, I guess the stuff works?

It costs at $21.50/50 lb bag. Fertility is excellent, health is great, cows are in great condition all year long. What else can you ask for except a decrease in cost? :banana:

Billy

MrBilly":28izr2dp said:
We use Ultralyx that is specially formulated for a large Angus farm nearby and contains chelated trace minerals. We started this several years ago because our black cattle had some rust colored hair on the top line. A nutritionist said it was probably a copper deficiency even though our mineral had adequate copper. When we added the chelates the first year I didn't really see much difference and thought that the rust may be due to the sun (I stated that in a past post). But now, after several years of use and the terrible hot and dry summers we have had, we no longer have any rust. So, I guess the stuff works?

It costs at $21.50/50 lb bag. Fertility is excellent, health is great, cows are in great condition all year long. What else can you ask for except a decrease in cost? :banana:

Billy

A perfect example of not all minerals are created equal. I don;t recall which ones, but our vet said to look for some specific minerals that were cher=lated because they could be used more efficiently then the same stuff in a non-chelated form.

MrBilly":2hffidod said:
formulated for a large Angus farm nearby

Would that be Three Trees?

We use Range Mix from Producers Co-op. It contains all the essential minerals and vitamins, but also has a higher protein content. Nutrena makes a similar product but the Co-op is cheaper. So much so that it is more economical for us to drive 45 miles to get it rather than pick up the Nutrena locally.

We will also put out a copper supplement when needed as well as fly blocks during the spring and summer months.

If most of the minerals are oxides a large portion goes right thru the animal. Sulfates are only a little bit better. More and more companies are including some zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt in chelated form. Zinpro Corporation is a large manufacturer of these chelated minerals and Albion is another. Both have worlds of test data and make excellent products. These chelated minerals will usually be disclosed on the list of ingredients as amino acid complexes or simply chelates. They are definitely worth the small price increase.

Angus I'm familiar with the Coop down in Aggieland and they make excellent products.

And by the way...NOW is the time to start using the fly blocks and IGR minerals to get a jump on flys.

Angus In Texas":2a7e7xa9 said:
MrBilly":2a7e7xa9 said:
formulated for a large Angus farm nearby

Would that be Three Trees?

We use Range Mix from Producers Co-op. It contains all the essential minerals and vitamins, but also has a higher protein content. Nutrena makes a similar product but the Co-op is cheaper. So much so that it is more economical for us to drive 45 miles to get it rather than pick up the Nutrena locally.

We will also put out a copper supplement when needed as well as fly blocks during the spring and summer months.

No, Hudgins.

Billy

For lactating cows (beef cows) use a mineral that has decent amount of Ca. There are two limiting factors that affect Ca uptake:
One is high Phosphorus which limits the amount of Ca that can be absorbed
The other is Vitamin D3 --- not enough would also limit the Ca uptake

Excess calcium also restricts absorption of phosphorus. Excess phosphorus will restrict absorption of phosphorus. Making mineral is like making a cake and doing it right. You need the proper amount of each ingredient balanced as there are many ingredients that effect utilization of other ingredients in both positive and negative ways.

Calcium

Most forages are good sources of calcium, although some, like cereal forages and corn silage, are marginal to low in this mineral. Grain, on the other hand, is a poor source of calcium. Calcium deficiency is not very common in animals on mostly forage diets. Deficiency can result in bone abnormalities and reduced milk production. Cases of milk fever in beef cows are not as prevalent as they are among dairy cattle; however, some cases are reported every year. Low levels of vitamin D or high levels of phosphorus in the diet may also cause apparent deficiency of calcium. The calcium phosphorus ratio is important and should not be less than 1.5:1 (i.e., 1.5 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus) nor greater than 7:1.

Calcium deficiency is an exception rather than a problem. Grazing and supplemental hay normally will supply a cows calcium needs and if you supplement I can assure you that your feed company is putting plenty of calcium in the feed because it is cheap.

Milk refer is more times than not a man made problem created by feeding too much calcium during the last tri-mester of pregnancy. The calcium content in the blood builds up tremendously and when she gives birth suddenly a large amount of that calcium is pulled from the blood by the cows for milk production rather than pulling it from the bone which is preferred and natural. This sudden drop in blood calcium content is what causes milk fever. That my friend is why we give "Ca" IV for milk fever, along with M,P,and K.

Buying mineral is like buying a bull. Buy the best you can and you will not go wrong. It is a very good place to spend money. It will save you more headaches and problems than anything else you will do.

Hayrack I always feel like "good mineral" always pays it's way. Just make sure it's GOOD and not just expensive.

Latest posts