Mineral Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
The CO-OP that I have been buying minerals from closed there doors on Thursday due to bankruptcy. So I had to go to Southern States and buy there brand minerals. Are they any good? I had feed them before but it seems the Purina mineral was better. I feed the All Season wind and rain.

How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.

no, thats not a good mineral.

try to find one w/o grain by products, preservatives, all that junk.

Also, get chelated minerals.

ClinchValley":il027df9 said:

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.

Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag

ddd75":7aiiw0eq said:
no, thats not a good mineral.

try to find one w/o grain by products, preservatives, all that junk.

Also, get chelated minerals.

That's all SS has and said that was the best mineral they had for cows. I'll check out Performance Feed and see what they carry , its close by to where I live. I have bought from them before but had some issues and didn't really want to to business with them.

i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. hell. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.

ddd75":riaty2z6 said:

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.

I feed there minerals before and had a problem with them eatting the recommended about especially the high mag mineral they carry.

ddd75":17epgv6v said:

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.

One of the co-ops where I go, from time to time, is a Southern States but they carry (and I buy) the "Young's Beef & Brood Cow" brand line of mineral. No added grains, bran or fillers.

If you're a member of a/your cattle association, perhaps the association buys a good product, in bulk which the members can purchase.

pricefarm":2wgd2xzc said:
ClinchValley":2wgd2xzc said:

Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag

https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.

True Grit Farms":12n93gmy said:
pricefarm":12n93gmy said:
ClinchValley":12n93gmy said:

Do u feed the high mag all year ?

True Grit Farms":1dc0baiu said:
pricefarm":1dc0baiu said:
ClinchValley":1dc0baiu said:

that looks pretty good, whats it costing a bag?

pricefarm":w42atq9j said:
ddd75":w42atq9j said:

I feed there minerals before and had a problem with them eatting the recommended about especially the high mag mineral they carry.
Price isn't bad but personally I wouldn't feed it because it appears to be mostly oxides which pass right through the cow at the rate of about 90%. Preservatives don't hurt anything but just an added expense. Grain by-products or put in the mineral to make it palatable. ALL mineral will have either grain by-products, plant protein products and/or dried molasses to encourage the cattle to eat it. Without them they won't touch it.

What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?

ClinchValley":tj8fhwx4 said:
What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?

Yes. It should say chelated. If you are not sure, look the brand and product name up under the company that makes it. There should be a description of the product.

ClinchValley":36cuj2s2 said:
Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.

TexasBred":3sze80hw said:
ClinchValley":3sze80hw said:
Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.
Tb what do you use?

5S Cattle":26svn2sv said:
TexasBred":26svn2sv said:
ClinchValley":26svn2sv said:
Tb what do you use?
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:

ddd75":246ab31b said:

What mineral do you use? You go to Mayslick Mill. They order Vitaferm Concept Aid special for four producers including myself. Some of their mineral is not any good but if that is what a customer wants, that's what they sell.

Bright Raven":lvcyr7x6 said:
ddd75":lvcyr7x6 said:

What mineral do you use? You go to Mayslick Mill. They order Vitaferm Concept Aid special for four producers including myself. Some of their mineral is not any good but if that is what a customer wants, that's what they sell.

i get the wilson chelated mineral.

Latest posts