Mineral program

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
My question is how important one of the top of the line mineral programs are..? Not just yes or no please. I'm referring to an all season program from the likes of purina or adm. I'm always suspicious of salesman. This is not just blocks, but bags etc. seems very expensive and I'm curious if it truly does pay? For our 200 head cow herd, that's more than 20k per year. Will I truly see the return? Maybe some testimonials? Sorry for rambling!

I did some quick numbers in my head and what I run should run about 1/4 of what they quoted you. What kind of mineral program?

True Grit Farms":3gb71ivw said:
For starters you need to shop around for a better price.

I appreciate the concern true grit, but you didn't come close to being helpful. I get it, you are the best at buying mineral. We thank you for that.

Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.

Rniemann":2x4xflz5 said:
True Grit Farms":2x4xflz5 said:
For starters you need to shop around for a better price.

I appreciate the concern true grit, but you didn't come close to being helpful. I get it, you are the best at buying mineral. We thank you for that.
This kind of response will cause your question to fall on deaf ears.. just saying.. ask your local vet or knowledgeable cattlemen what everyone in the area uses.. minerals are sometimes formulated for certain areas. As far as the salesman that shows up at the feed store I don't pay them any mind. I use wind and rain because I like it . And it's about the same price as the others.

Rniemann":2si58c26 said:
Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.

We run around 115 momma cows and keep 6-10 bulls of various stages of development around and spend around $4-5K a year on mineral.

I need to keep free choice salt out as well to cut down on the mineral consumption but I've barely mastered the art of keeping mineral out.

Rniemann":2njkg4rr said:
My question is how important one of the top of the line mineral programs are..? Not just yes or no please. I'm referring to an all season program from the likes of purina or adm. I'm always suspicious of salesman. This is not just blocks, but bags etc. seems very expensive and I'm curious if it truly does pay? For our 200 head cow herd, that's more than 20k per year. Will I truly see the return? Maybe some testimonials? Sorry for rambling!
Ok smart a$$.....you don't like TG's answer try this one. For starters you need to shop around for a better price !!!! $12,000 of the Purina All Season AV-4 should serve you well. You're welcome. :tiphat:

Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.

BC":3luig2c5 said:
Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.

Are you talking about the coop in Greenville? Is there a specific mineral you ask for there?

Rniemann":q0wmu78z said:

Are you having problems? Why switch from what you are doing, if not having problems? More info.

Past that, I would take my concerns to your local vet to address the issues you are having. Might need mineral, might need vaccinations, might need both.

CaddoFarms":2itftz9f said:
BC":2itftz9f said:

Are you talking about the coop in Greenville? Is there a specific mineral you ask for there?
I trade at the Canton store, but same company. I use the 12-12 Breeder mineral.

Depends on your situation. If you cows are well fed year round and in good shape may not need it as much as someone whose cattle have to scrounge more.

I feed a cheaper mineral in the winter that is lower in some nutrients that asre in the byproducts I feed in the winter. Have heard some people test and make a custom mineral for there area to save some money.

Find a decent base mineral for most of the year and feed a top of the line mineral 30-60 days before calving and breeding

TennesseeTuxedo":4167it8x said:
Rniemann":4167it8x said:

We run around 115 momma cows and keep 6-10 bulls of various stages of development around and spend around $4-5K a year on mineral.

I need to keep free choice salt out as well to cut down on the mineral consumption but I've barely mastered the art of keeping mineral out.
Just my :2cents: - my neighbor mixes salt in with his mineral, & I've been doing the same. Plus, keeps a salt block out also. We both use seasonal mineral from local co-op.

reeler":3hs8cs9l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3hs8cs9l said:
Rniemann":3hs8cs9l said:

Just my :2cents: - my neighbor mixes salt in with his mineral, & I've been doing the same. Plus, keeps a salt block out also. We both use seasonal mineral from local co-op.

Might be the solution.

I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.

J&D Cattle":7jrc5fmo said:
I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.

mineral and salt are 2 different things , Most do both and there will be times when the salt is hit hard and other time the mineral will be hit. The salt is cheap and should be used separately and in conjunction with any good mineral IMO (which has no value to anyone but me)

J&D Cattle":1t1yjpwf said:
Unfortunately you don't always see the benefits immediately but you definitely will see the consequences of NOT having a good mineral program pretty quickly.

Latest posts