Mineral opinion.

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1z9r3hv7 said:
Ive been using VMS 1 To 1.. But I'm thinking I need more iodine lately...
Iodine is an essential mineral for function of the thyroid hormones that regulate energy metabolism. The first sign of iodine deficiency is goiter in newborn calves. Iodine is rarely deficient in cow herds in the Southeast. Iodine is usually supplemented as ethylenediamine dihydroidide (EDDI). The maximum legal supplementation of EDDI is 50 mg per head per day. In some instances, EDDI has been included in diets to prevent foot rot; however, the amount of EDDI required to prevent foot rot is much higher than requirements and most likely will not prevent foot rot when included at the legal maximum.

kilroy60":oag4cqf9 said:
ALACOWMAN":oag4cqf9 said:
Ive been using VMS 1 To 1.. But I'm thinking I need more iodine lately...
Iodine is an essential mineral for function of the thyroid hormones that regulate energy metabolism. The first sign of iodine deficiency is goiter in newborn calves. Iodine is rarely deficient in cow herds in the Southeast. Iodine is usually supplemented as ethylenediamine dihydroidide (EDDI). The maximum legal supplementation of EDDI is 50 mg per head per day. In some instances, EDDI has been included in diets to prevent foot rot; however, the amount of EDDI required to prevent foot rot is much higher than requirements and most likely will not prevent foot rot when included at the legal maximum.
Actually it's 50 mg/kg of diet so can be fed at a much higher level than thought. Many folks put out iodine salt blocks to help with foot rot. Feeding a ration containing Zinpro (zinc methionine complex) will help with foot rot problems as well.

Latest posts