Mineral Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
I am tired of putting back together these flimsey Behlen whirly gig mineral feeders and I am looking at alternatives.

I have one that is flat and has a rubber mat (Polytuff) cover over the compartments which the cows need to raise to get at the mineral. I think it is OK, but fear some animals do not eat the stuff.

Just got a couple very tough hanging feeders that are made here in Georgia by Southland Products in Hull, GA. Very heavy duty construction so I am leaning towards replacing all with this product as the others die off. See below. They run around $100 delivered UPS.

http://www.southlandag.com/

MrBilly":uuw2phm4 said:
I have one that is flat and has a rubber mat (Polytuff) cover over the compartments which the cows need to raise to get at the mineral. I think it is OK, but fear some animals do not eat the stuff
Just got a couple very tough hanging feeders that are made here in Georgia by Southland Products in Hull, GA. Very heavy duty construction so I am leaning towards replacing all with this product as the others die off. See below. They run around $100 delivered UPS.
I have tied the flaps part way up for a time so they can get their nose in it easier to figure it out. Seems to help the slow learners. :roll:
I like the looks of the hanging feeders. Same idea as Duns barrels with extra weather resistance built in. Do bulls use them as a head butting toy?

I have tied the flaps part way up for a time so they can get their nose in it easier to figure it out. Seems to help the slow learners. Rolling Eyes
I like the looks of the hanging feeders. Same idea as Duns barrels with extra weather resistance built in. Do bulls use them as a head butting toy?

Not recently, our bulls are in with the flat thing. Your idea might be worth a try about tieing up the flaps.

Chuck":8zj2ojfn said:
Same idea as Duns barrels with extra weather resistance built in. Do bulls use them as a head butting toy?

Our barrels turn pretty much with the wind and we don't get much rain inside. But without having salt in it, it's not a real problem because the minerals don't cake.
I don't know about bulls, but the calves like to wait until a cow has her head in thabarrel and then smack and watch the cows jump. The way they swing we've never had any of the damaged.
But being frugal (actually cheap) ours only cost about 7 bucks including the barrel and hardware and about 15 minutes of time.

dun

Dun,

Is there a thread where you talked about your barrels before? Do you have a picture of your barrel?

BuckemRanch":1d3x0b01 said:
Dun,

Is there a thread where you talked about your barrels before? Do you have a picture of your barrel?

I described how to make them but that was a long time ago. I posted a picture on another thread but don't remember which one. Here it is again.

dun

feeder21.jpg

Latest posts