Mineral Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
For those that use the loose mineral feeders with the wind vane hood, do the cows knock those around and tip them over? Do you try and stake them down some how?

55 gallon plastic barrell hanging from a tree limb with a hole cut in the side works great. If they push it, it just swings around, and then back into position.

Well, that was interesting, I had to stand there with them till they finished and hold it down. They about tipped it over in a matter of a few seconds, and many more times until they were finished. That thing took a beating with all the pushing and shoving going on. It's not like they haven't been getting mineral, I guess the new will just have to wear off and maybe they will settle down. :lol2:

curtis":14diuoe4 said:
I've had them totally destroyed by bulls playing with them.
With the hanging barrels you don;t have many dollars tied up and when they beat them around unless they can pin them to a tree they take a lot of abuse. Does get tiring in the middle of the night listening to them thump them though.

Bought a plastic vaned one new. Worked good for a couple years till the vane part broke. She no more good.
Bought a solid metal vaned one used. Worked good for a couple days till the bull decided he did not like it. She no more good.
Bought a used plastic one with a thick rubber flap cover on it. Holds 150#. Works fine but too heavy to move easily. It stays in the corral.
Now using plastic baskets I bought used. They nest and they last a couple years. Wife mixes up 200 to 300# at a crack, and I get to lift 50# when we do a paddock shift. Only problem is rain...

On the weathervane feeders, put a post about eight feet long thuough the bottom of the feeder, they won't tip it over.
On the tubs with a flap, put a cable on it and pull with your ATV, be surprised how soon the cows relate the feeder moving with them moving, they follow right along. gs

dun":29fk9nr7 said:
curtis":29fk9nr7 said:
I've had them totally destroyed by bulls playing with them.
With the hanging barrels you don;t have many dollars tied up and when they beat them around unless they can pin them to a tree they take a lot of abuse. Does get tiring in the middle of the night listening to them thump them though.

my bull puts his head in it and dumps all the minerals out all the time..need to stake it to the ground also..he thinks its a toy ..but after the minerals are out....he leaves it alone.
ive found a few snakes in em tho to

i use a vane type for the calfs tho

gary

They won't stand up to 40 or 50 mph winds, it got blown over today. Time to stake it down! :cboy:

I had, key word , had, a gate post supported by an A frame. Old cow was in there 2 days before she broke the post stratching on the a frame. There is now 4"well casing for a gate post.

I'm going to try the hole in the barrel thing. Damn bull just turns over the pan the mineral is in now.

The anvil thing, that is funny. True but still funny.

Depends on what you want it for. Ive used old lick tub barrels and they work real good from me. Just not water prof.

If your wanting to keep them from tipping them over try these. http://www.siouxsteel.com/index.php/product-detail/upright-mineral-feeder Ive got 2 in 2007. Ive forgot to get salt out and they crowd it bad. 140 pairs for 2 of them. Theyve only tiped over once. The metal bottom you can buy new...or go to your welding shop. They have a greaseable bearing below the orange part. You would think it would spin like a dream. They don't and so arent real weather proof. Thats the draw back.

I use the tubs leftover from a feeding the tubs. Just nail them to a tree. Works fine for me and not being waterproof is fine. Unless you get a flood the water in the tub evaporates or the cattle drink it and you still have all your mineral.

Latest posts