Mineral feeders???

Help Support CattleToday:

We've tried the bull rpoof ones that you fasten to the ground. Only problem is you can;t get anything in the ground far enough to hold them, and that's with cows getting playfull

I get a kick out of watching the calves stand around the barrel and when a cow sticks it's head in one of the calves smack to see the cow jump. Simple things entertain simple minds.

What I'm trying to figure out, is Dun talking about himself or the cow/calves. :)
Simple things entertain simple minds

rocket2222":u49qwkra said:
I get a kick out of watching the calves stand around the barrel and when a cow sticks it's head in one of the calves smack to see the cow jump. Simple things entertain simple minds.

What I'm trying to figure out, is Dun talking about himself or the cow/calves. :)
Simple things entertain simple minds

That's a no brainer, me

rocket2222":18lszt5t said:
That's a no brainer, me
I don't have to many problems with the mineral feeders I have, but I might make one like yours, just to watch them do that :)

Better then anything on TV. And if they aren;t messing with the cows, watching them is still better then anything on TV

Well, I've got mine up and running. Looks just like the one in the picture. thanks for the help!

This feeder reminds me of the first steer I ever bought. He developed an unhealthy affection for my daughters swings set. He was daily finding new ways through the fence just so he could stand in the back yard and play with the swings until he'd get excited and flip the whole thing over. Finally I hung a 5 gallon bucket from a chain in the pasture and put up an electric fence. In the end he was delicious.

I like that idea dun has. Might have to just hang one of those. I can tell you this; that I used to feed mineral blocks, and I agree with Msscamp... I dont think the cattle can get enough minerals that way. I have switched over to the loose minerals and salt...and they seem to like it better, as well as more of them are coming to the feeders now. Only drawback is that I find myself having to buy more of the stuff to keep in the feeders. :)

I puy my minerals in a rubber feed tub and move it to a new spot before the grass gets worn out. When it rains you have mineral-rich water standing in it but they slurp it up and nothing gets lost.

If you use a stationary feeder, the cows will wear out the ground under it and then you'll have a big wallowed out mudhole. Been there done that.

Limomike":3g8i151i said:
I like that idea dun has.

Not my idea. Those things are so common aorund here that it looks like a lot of trees have a giant colored (blue, red, white, black) fruit hanging from them.
What surprised me was that folks would pay $20-$25 for one at an auction when you can make them for 10 bucks or so if you have to buy the barrel and the hardware

alabama":1ifl0m9x said:
dun":1ifl0m9x said:
feeder21.jpg

I have several just like this one. I still have trouble with the bulls playing with it and they tend to spill a lot when they get it swinging and knocking it hard.
I watched a two year old play with one almost an hour and empty it. But it is stil the best I have found.
Solved bulls punching bag.drill two holes in high side of the bottom,run nylon rope through holes and tie concrete block to rope letting it lay on the ground.This broke our 2000 pound simmi bull from punching and spilling minerals.

Latest posts