Mineral feeders???

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie Rancher

Reaction score
I've been leaving a salt/mineral block in the feed trough for my heifers, but every time we get a heavy rain it starts to dissentegrate. I'm looking at buying a mineral feeder at the local Atwoods. They're on sale this week. The choices are a Twister supplement feeder (supposedly turns like a weather vane to keep water out) and a Mineral Bull Feeder (looks like a short round tub with a heavy rubber hood over it.)

What are the pros and cons of the 2 types???

What the heck is a salt/mineral block? Never seen a salt block with enough mineral in it to say it had it.

Rookie Rancher":36ho8r51 said:
I've been leaving a salt/mineral block in the feed trough for my heifers, but every time we get a heavy rain it starts to dissentegrate. I'm looking at buying a mineral feeder at the local Atwoods. They're on sale this week. The choices are a Twister supplement feeder (supposedly turns like a weather vane to keep water out) and a Mineral Bull Feeder (looks like a short round tub with a heavy rubber hood over it.)

Neither are any good. I've gone through hundreds of dollars in those things.

Either make one from a plastic drum or a trough type deal w/top out of treated wood.

By the way, use a good loose mineral. ;-)

Why is loose mineral better?

Also, I don't have time to build a feeder. Is there any type that works well?? If the ones I described don't work, why?

thanks in advance for you help.

i dont think theres any differance between loose an mineral blocks.i use wind an rain minerals.an loose salt for the cows.the rain may make the salt melt some.but not melt all the way less you get a flood.

I have had the best luck with the Bull type feeder or the hanging barrel.
The type with the vane get battered bt the bull/cows and won't hold up.

We have not used blocks for many years. Only loose Minerals.There aint a Mineral at Tractor Supply worth a plug nickel, in my opinion.Intake is much more regulated, and Cattle can go off and eat Grass like they're supposed to do instead of lick a salt block.

As for feeders, MikeC is right. Build one.Do a search on here for Dun's Mineral Feeder, it's built out of a barrel.

Rookie Rancher":1vlyinzc said:

I can't help you with the feeders, but I can tell you that the salt/mineral blocks are a complete waste of time, and money because your cattle won't get enough of either to do any good - too much licking is required to ever meet their needs. They are called "trace mineral" blocks for a reason. I would suggest you do a search for Dun's mineral feeder and start putting out loose mineral and salt. A rate of a 50 lb bag of mineral mixed with 1/2 of a 50 lb bag of salt is how we did it, but you might need a different ratio. I'm not familiar with your area. Experiment a bit, and find out what works in your particular area, under your particular set of circumstances. That way your cattle will actually be able to consume enough salt and mineral to meet their needs, and will be healthier for it.

The vane type feeders are a waste, at least those with metal bases are. They last a couple years and then rust out. Thankfully, we don't have anymore they all went to the junk yard.

We like the bull feeders. Have no problems with them at all. And, the bulls can't tip them over.

WE have several hanging feeders and they work extremely well also, however, we have one bull that just stands there and butts his head against it with the minerals flying out. He is in the pastures with the bull feeders.

Billy

MrBilly":8q66gvyd said:
WE have several hanging feeders and they work extremely well also, however, we have one bull that just stands there and butts his head against it with the minerals flying out. He is in the pastures with the bull feeders.

Billy

I get a kick out of watching the calves stand around the barrel and when a cow sticks it's head in one of the calves smack to see the cow jump. Simple things entertain simple minds.

Always agree with Msscamp....do a search for the one that Dun has perviously posted a year or so back. The price is right and it really works...bet there are thousands out there hanging from anything that will support it.
Dave Mc

feeder21.jpg

Thanks everybody for the help. No sense wasting money on feeders that won't work. I got my hands on a free blue barrel this afternoon. I'm going to try and turn it into a mineral feeder tomorrow.

I do have one question... How do I figure out what mineral mix is best to feed my heifers in this area? They'll be eating fertilized coastal/bahia mixed hay. Also, should i be giving them any protein supplement (cubes or creep)? They're about 11 months old pure angus and 600-700 lbs. I'm planning to have them AI'd in March.

most companys that produce bagged mineral have different mixes available for different classes of cattle but in most cases a general cattle mineral works best. We use a standard mineral mix in my area most of the year and during the spring green up use a high Magnesium mineral. Then in addition to the mineral I feed a high Selinium trace mineral salt separatley because in our area we are real low in Selinium. It is not recommended to mix the salt in the mineral because the amount of salt added to the mineral determines the limit of intake and the company mixing the mineral already has that formulated, so you should feed salt separatley in another feeder. Basically, the suppliers in your area of the country should be able to set you up with the correct mineral and salt.

our nutrionist suggested pretending that the hay has no value other than protien becasue the value will decrease over time. we use feedrite one to one as a standard all year. If we feed straw because of a hay shortage we use 2to1 or is it one to two, not sure. We know if we are deficient in phosporus when they start cleaning up on our fence posts.

we use the weather vain feeders and they have served us well for close to 6 years. But they are showing signs of wear on the vane. All else is good. As well the bulls have a hayday with them and they started to cost us $ in lost mineral. Our trick was to hammer broken rake teeth into the ground around the bottom hoop.

Like Dun's feeder and will keep the picture up for hubby to see. We were looking for something for the bulls.

i have pretty good luck with the bull mineral tub. it can even take on a F350 and come out smiling :D

dun":2dysu61o said:

I have several just like this one. I still have trouble with the bulls playing with it and they tend to spill a lot when they get it swinging and knocking it hard.
I watched a two year old play with one almost an hour and empty it. But it is stil the best I have found.

Latest posts