Mineral feeders for longhorns?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
I've seen several of the mineral feeders ya'll have made or bought and was wondering about ones for longhorns. I'm buying a couple of highland cows(due here tomorrow) and I was thinking of how to get them free choice minerals with a feeder, without them getting their horns stuck in it and ripping it to pieces. :shock: I've come up with something and wanted opinions on it.
I cut a 4" in hole in a 5 gallon bucket. Attached a 4" in PVC pipe about 3' ft long with the end cut on the diagonal and tapered. I stand the whole contraption up and attach it to a post with the end of the pipe about an inch above the feed pan. Pour the minerals in the top of the bucket and put the top out to keep out rain. It should be a self feeder, but I haven't tested it yet. So you think this will work? What types of feeders do you have for longhorns? Thanks!

Sounds like it could work. Personally, we don't use feeders. An old barn serves as a loafing shed, we put minerals in a bunk feeder and keep it in there.

We use a special Longhorn Mineral Molasses Tub (BioRemedies) that is 65# and a 30% Protein Mineral Molasses Tub (100#). Tried the "other" 200# tubs and longhorns just wasted them and/or didn't like them.

We just set the tubs out. If we do any special supplements, put in an empty 65# tub. They lick both types clean!

...Longhorns like to play with things...such as mineral feeders...lol...therefore we don't use the special feeder units.

Running Arrow Bill":36g8mli3 said:
We use a special Longhorn Mineral Molasses Tub (BioRemedies) that is 65# and a 30% Protein Mineral Molasses Tub (100#). Tried the "other" 200# tubs and longhorns just wasted them and/or didn't like them.

We just set the tubs out. If we do any special supplements, put in an empty 65# tub. They lick both types clean!

...Longhorns like to play with things...such as mineral feeders...lol...therefore we don't use the special feeder units.

You're right on about them playin. I got an empty plastic drum and put some rocks in it to make noise, and threw it out in the pasture, so they would leave the bunk feeders alone.

RAB- are those tubs specifically for longhorns, the breed, or any longer horned bovine? LOL..Does that make any sense? I'm getting highlands and they have longer horn spans than regular cattle but not nearly as impressive as Longhorns. (I can only imagine someone totally new to cattle trying to understand this post!) :shock:
I'm only getting 2 cows right now, would it be cost effective to get a tub or go with the loose minerals? What's the advantages and disadvantages of the tubs vs. the loose minerals? Can I squeeze another question in here somewhere??? :D

I have noticed than free choice loose minerals is not the best for my operation. I can/do watch my cattle for hours (I have no life), and have noticed that a couple of cows eat the majority of the loose minerals. Some cows never seem to eat any minerals. So I mix the minerals with feed. Mostly in the winter when I am watching BC real close. I seem to get better distribution this way. But you have to have the time to do it.

Latest posts