Mineral Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

bse

Reaction score
Friend called me yesterday asked if ive ordered my fly control mineral, said be sitting when they tell me, he was right!!! Up $6 per bag. was told some suppliers of micro something of which theres only 2 factories in the world, 1 had burned down and they shut the other down for doing something wrong which causes the increase, they assured me when the place was up and running again the price would drop immediatly, my answer was do you really believe that. anybody else pricing mineral?
On top of that Longrange is up $50 per 500ml, done with that for sure

Mineral cost are too high, it can't really cost that much to produce. It's about $60 a hd per year best I can figure.

The first year I used Long Range I thought I'd found the miracle wormer. My cows slicked off and looked better than ever. The next year we used it they looked like we used the cheapest pour on made, I'm going back to a different injectable this year.

I'm not a vet. But in my simple brain sees longrange as a fad product. I just don't see how it can be in the cow for that long and stay effective year after year. To me its a expensive recipe for starting a resistance problem. But I have a simple mind.

It's vitamin A that is hard to buy now, and I guess the fire really only damaged the computers but it's taking longer than expected to get things up and running again

Fun fact 1 ton of vitamin A cost about $480000 right now (almost double what it was before or at least that's what I was told)

I just bought the meds to do the spring working on our cows/calves/yearlings and would guess that the cost has more than doubled in the last ten years. I used to be able to make a little money on the cattle but not sure anymore. Everything has gotten so high it's hard to figure a profit. I guess if you figure the big expenses as long terms investments you can make a little money.

bse":xzykfobz said:
Friend called me yesterday asked if ive ordered my fly control mineral, said be sitting when they tell me, he was right!!! Up $6 per bag. was told some suppliers of micro something of which theres only 2 factories in the world, 1 had burned down and they shut the other down for doing something wrong which causes the increase, they assured me when the place was up and running again the price would drop immediatly, my answer was do you really believe that. anybody else pricing mineral?
On top of that Longrange is up $50 per 500ml, done with that for sure
Cost of trace minerals have not changed that much. Vitamins is what is running up the cost.
Examples:
Vitamin A-1000 was $1.33 lb..................now $177.00 per pound
Vitamin D3 was$.98 a lb.......................now 5.77 per pound
Vitamin E-50 was 6.20 per lb................. now $7.70 per pound.
These are highly concentrated sources so luckily a ton of mineral does not require a huge amount but even a half pound of A-1000 would raise the price considerably.

Vitamins prices drove my mineral up $350 per ton. I had them leave them out and will give them to them by injection instead. Vet said it might be the better way to go. It insures every animal will get some. The vitamins stay in the liver for around 6 months. They had to special make by minerals and tag them specifically to me with a no resale warning.

The bad news is, another shot at working time. Cost about $1.35 per cow.
The good news is I guess is I have my own personal mineral with my Ranch name on the tag.

About a month ago we went to a Cargill sponsored free meal, and the speaker said the BASF plant in Germany, that made vitamin A and E had burned and they were the only source.

I was feeding their cheap brand of Cattle Grazer minreral, but his speech convinced me to go back to "Right Now"

Still not sure if Im feeding the right color... Bought Gold with altosid. He said we should start using Valentines Day, but I waited a couple of weeks.
Must be working have not seen a fly yet......

bird dog":37qoiakw said:
Vitamins prices drove my mineral up $350 per ton. I had them leave them out and will give them to them by injection instead. Vet said it might be the better way to go. It insures every animal will get some. The vitamins stay in the liver for around 6 months. They had to special make by minerals and tag them specifically to me with a no resale warning.

The bad news is, another shot at working time. Cost about $1.35 per cow.
The good news is I guess is I have my own personal mineral with my Ranch name on the tag.
Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you.

"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.

bird dog":3q3yo43e said:
"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.
That's still a heck of a kick in the mouth. $24 is still a bit high if it has no vitamins. For what you're getting Vigortone is overpriced at any price. Same mineral they've made for ages with yeast added. Best thing about it is the yeast.

The $24 is with IGR. I have not priced it without in a while. Don't really have an opinion on Vigortone, its just what is sold locally so I used them as a comparison. Its hard for a simpleton like me to judge one from the other by looking at the ingredient tag. The product I use is from Nutrition Plus. Maybe the worst product on the market, but the cows seem to look good and and my calving rate is better than the averages, so I judge the mineral as being okay.

Do you know a better option?

bird dog":3d1jxxha said:

Nice price, we pay in the neighbourhood of $1600 per tonne for our custom mix mineral. We do add BioMoss and Rumensin to it.

I'm really beginning to wonder if all the vaccinations and mineral pay. So many of my neighbors do nothing a seem to get along fine. Throw a bunch of junk cows out on big pasture, turn a bunch of skinny crap looking bulls on them. Gather them once a year and pull the calves off and strait to the sale barn.
This year all I'm going to do is virasheild HB, and pinkeye on the cows. HB, pinkeye, and blackleg on calves. Skipping the wormer, everything got cydectin injectable last fall.
Been feeding vitaferm mineral. Priced IGR and decided against it. Added almost 9$ a bag.
Have to cut some corners somewhere, not sure this is the place to do it or not. Being able to graze wheat, turnips, and cover crops in the winter has helped. I keep track of my expenses very closely, very hard to turn a profit right now

Latest posts