Mineral blocks or loose minerals?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley":3n9f3m9r said:
I was told or read that an animal could lick the blocks all day and still not meet their needs.

They can lick tubs enough to get what the necessary manufacturer intake recommendations. I measure it.

That said, perhaps the manufacturer is wrong re: what is necessary? I would assume they have the same criteria for mineral requirements as do the loose people (as the tubs and loose frequently come from the same folk??)

What's interesting is the only reason I've ever heard for people running tubs is "rain". That's why I feed tubs. It's a heck of a lot easier. But I could be wrong. I've never heard anyone say they switched from loose to tubs and "things got better", like you hear from people feeding loose. Very interesting.

angus9259":3uklkuzs said:
ClinchValley":3uklkuzs said:
I was told or read that an animal could lick the blocks all day and still not meet their needs.

They can lick tubs enough to get what the necessary manufacturer intake recommendations. I measure it.

That said, perhaps the manufacturer is wrong re: what is necessary? I would assume they have the same criteria for mineral requirements as do the loose people (as the tubs and loose frequently come from the same folk??)

What's interesting is the only reason I've ever heard for people running tubs is "rain". That's why I feed tubs. It's a heck of a lot easier. But I could be wrong. I've never heard anyone say they switched from loose to tubs and "things got better", like you hear from people feeding loose. Very interesting.
You cannot formulate a molasses tub to match all the guarantees on a good loose mineral and still have room in the formulation for the several hundred pounds per ton of molasses that it takes to make the tub. Usually it is the higher inclusion items that are drastically reduced such as calcium, phosphorus and salt.

TexasBred":3pttbxhp said:
You cannot formulate a molasses tub to match all the guarantees on a good loose mineral and still have room in the formulation for the several hundred pounds per ton of molasses that it takes to make the tub. Usually it is the higher inclusion items that are drastically reduced such as calcium, phosphorus and salt.

So the people who sell these tubs (kent, hubbard, etc..) are just .... what.... lying? Misguided? Wrong? Seriously. How can a company say it's the required intake and have it not be?

Side note - none of the tubs I have contain salt. I put out a white salt block for that.

kenny thomas":3acbe0de said:
TB, so would a tub with no added salt be able to meet the needs of the minerals? How about the one in this product lable?
http://pdf.paulsen.ag/generate/?url=htt ... &prefs=clx

And please give your opinion on this product for use in the winter when feeing adequate protein hay or stockpiled fescue.
Kenny, traditionally Cyrstalyx has made great tubs. This one looks to be fine too. You will need to make a salt supply avaialable free choice as it has none added. It's not really a mineral tub but just a good protein tub with added minerals. Should compliment your hay very well although usually a bit pricey.

angus9259":2m7xd3na said:
TexasBred":2m7xd3na said:

So the people who sell these tubs (kent, hubbard, etc..) are just .... what.... lying? Misguided? Wrong? Seriously. How can a company say it's the required intake and have it not be?

Side note - none of the tubs I have contain salt. I put out a white salt block for that.
None of the above. They simply do not replace nor equal the contents of loose mineral and I've never seen one even make that claim. Doesn't make them a bad product though and certainly better than no mineral at all. It's just their effort to obtain part of the mineral market in the form that they specialize in. Angus without knowing what the tub will be fed to and what type and quality forage will be fed to the animal, how can they ever say anything meets the daily requirements of anything?? The actually cannot realistically guarantee the "estimated" consumption of the product which is also often listed on the tag.

As for the salt block, it's just a hair better than no salt. Put out some loose salt so they cow can hit it a lick or two and walk off instead of wearing out a perfectly good tongue trying to meet her needs.

TexasBred":3qi3sgca said:
kenny thomas":3qi3sgca said:
TB, so would a tub with no added salt be able to meet the needs of the minerals? How about the one in this product lable?

And please give your opinion on this product for use in the winter when feeing adequate protein hay or stockpiled fescue.
Kenny, traditionally Cyrstalyx has made great tubs. This one looks to be fine too. You will need to make a salt supply avaialable free choice as it has none added. It's not really a mineral tub but just a good protein tub with added minerals. Should compliment your hay very well although usually a bit pricey.
So even when using the Crystalyx the better loose mineral should be offered as well. I like this product because it is not regulated by the salt intake.

kenny thomas":2mfigf7o said:
TexasBred":2mfigf7o said:
kenny thomas":2mfigf7o said:

So even when using the Crystalyx the better loose mineral should be offered as well. I like this product because it is not regulated by the salt intake.
Yessir I would. Salt is cheap and they need the sodium in it.

TexasBred":1ygv9qu0 said:
Angus without knowing what the tub will be fed to and what type and quality forage will be fed to the animal, how can they ever say anything meets the daily requirements of anything?? The actually cannot realistically guarantee the "estimated" consumption of the product which is also often listed on the tag.

As for the salt block, it's just a hair better than no salt. Put out some loose salt so they cow can hit it a lick or two and walk off instead of wearing out a perfectly good tongue trying to meet her needs.

1. Good point. Except they do at least have a daily consumption target. How could they have that? Is it meaningless? My point on consumption is they go through the tubs at the rate of recommended consumption for each tub. How they can make a recommendations without knowing the rest of my stuff? Who knows.

2. Loose anything for me hasn't worked - that's why I put out salt blocks. Rain proofing is my issue. They are by the waterers in each paddock and they seem to enjoy the routine of it. It is what it is.....

I use crsytalyx tubs as well. IGR Max spring and summer. Mineralyx fall and winter. Feed pretty good hay so never had much of a need to pay for extra protein.

angus9259":22kyu93k said:
TexasBred":22kyu93k said:
Angus without knowing what the tub will be fed to and what type and quality forage will be fed to the animal, how can they ever say anything meets the daily requirements of anything?? The actually cannot realistically guarantee the "estimated" consumption of the product which is also often listed on the tag.

1. Good point. Except they do at least have a daily consumption target. How could they have that? Is it meaningless? My point on consumption is they go through the tubs at the rate of recommended consumption for each tub. How they can make a recommendations without knowing the rest of my stuff? Who knows.

2. Loose anything for me hasn't worked - that's why I put out salt blocks. Rain proofing is my issue. They are by the waterers in each paddock and they seem to enjoy the routine of it. It is what it is.....

I use crsytalyx tubs as well. IGR Max spring and summer. Mineralyx fall and winter. Feed pretty good hay so never had much of a need to pay for extra protein.
As long as your cattle maintain adequate body condition year round whether dry or lactating, breed back on time, grow off a good calf and are in good health on your current program, there is no need to spend money on any extras.

TexasBred":lcdgws0p said:
kenny thomas":lcdgws0p said:
TexasBred":lcdgws0p said:
Yessir I would. Salt is cheap and they need the sodium in it.
TB, in the winter I having been using the Crystalyx tubs and loose white salt. I need to revisit what I am using I think.