Mineral blocks or loose minerals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Manunitedtopgear

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a couple of 1 year old holstein heifers. I have been using mineral blocks but I noticed that there are some minerals they need that aren't in the blocks. I was wondering what everyone thought about blocks vs loose minerals? What minerals specifically do dairy cattle need? Should I get loose minerals instead of blocks and if I should what minerals should I look for? Thank you

Loose minerals, down here "purina wind and rain all season" work good. At first they will eat the heck out of it then they will go to it off and on when needed. The mineral tubs and blocks werent enough. Loose minerals are a must.

Loose is the way we go too. Have used the Purina mineral tubs but man are they expensive. I don't know that I can see any difference with going to the loose.

35854.jpg

nav_r1_c2.jpg
gold%20star.gif

http://www.mfa-inc.com/Feed/Minerals/Mi ... neral.aspx

Tried blocks at first. Moved to loose about 4 months ago. Within 30 days I could see an improvement in coat/hair. IMO the calves seemed to start gaining better. That could be wishful thinking though.

I was told or read that an animal could lick the blocks all day and still not meet their needs.

They do eat the crap out of it at first, so have a couple bags handy. But it does taper down after a couple days to a week.

Here we have Copper and Selenium problems due to a lack of. Co-Op has been the brand we have been using. Did get a bag of Purina last week. They eat it right up.

Look into Chelated minerals. Formulated to be absorbed more easily.

Here's a read on chelated mineral benefits…

http://www.thecattlesite.com/news/45237 ... -minerals/

Most easily blocked by sulfur. If you are feeding tubs, blocks, lick or corn gluten pellets the chelated is not your best option.

Ebenezer":jkbnidld said:

Most easily blocked by sulfur. If you are feeding tubs, blocks, lick or corn gluten pellets the chelated is not your best option.
Actually it is. Sulfur will also bind oxides if highly elevated in feeds. Corn gluten should be fed as an ingredient, not a complete feed and fed at a level that sulfur becomes a non factor or simply elevate mineral levels to ensure that adequate amounts remain available for absorption. Manufacturers seldom add iron to feeds and most quality mineral for the very reason that it binds copper. The same for molybdenum which is purposely added to sheep products only for the specific purpose of binding copper.

I can tell a difference since I started using chelated mineral. Conception rates have improved, they seem to be and look healthier, and their hair coats are slick.

HDRider":1ry2meqk said:
TB you sure know your minerals..
Just trying to help if I can. :nod: Just note that your's is formulated for 2 oz. per head per day consumption thus the highly elevated guarantees. May cost a bit more but should last twice as long.

So just to be clear.....a bag of minerals that has chelated minerals in it won't say 'chelated this or that necessarily' right?
I'm feeding one now that says zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, cobalt carbonate, cobalt proteinate. I'm guessing the proteinate portion is the chelated part?
Also, why isn't the calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and selenium chelated?

Will Nutrena beef cattle mineral work for dairy cows. It has calcium, phosphorus,salt, magnesium,copper,selenium,zinc,vitamin a,vitamin d3, and vitamin e. Will this work for my holstein heifers?

Banjo":mfve3m3m said:
So just to be clear.....a bag of minerals that has chelated minerals in it won't say 'chelated this or that necessarily' right?
I'm feeding one now that says zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, cobalt carbonate, cobalt proteinate. I'm guessing the proteinate portion is the chelated part?
Also, why isn't the calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and selenium chelated?
Protienates are a less expensive knock off. Look for chelates, or amino acid complexes. Those will be true chelated minerals and will usually only show up in the list of ingredients. Cobalt usually is shown as cobalt glucoheptonate.

Calcium and magnesium are available for human use in chelated form but when you use hundreds of pounds of these particular macro minerals in a one ton formula and in chelated form the cost would be astronomical.

Manunitedtopgear":2ymqtvyy said:
Will Nutrena beef cattle mineral work for dairy cows. It has calcium, phosphorus,salt, magnesium,copper,selenium,zinc,vitamin a,vitamin d3, and vitamin e. Will this work for my holstein heifers?
All have those same minerals. Form and concentration would determine if it were a good heifer mineral.

TexasBred":32j45kce said:
Ebenezer":32j45kce said:

Actually it is. Sulfur will also bind oxides if highly elevated in feeds. Corn gluten should be fed as an ingredient, not a complete feed and fed at a level that sulfur becomes a non factor or simply elevate mineral levels to ensure that adequate amounts remain available for absorption. Manufacturers seldom add iron to feeds and most quality mineral for the very reason that it binds copper. The same for molybdenum which is purposely added to sheep products only for the specific purpose of binding copper.
Right. We try to avoid oxides, too.

Latest posts