Mincemeat

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Got a big pot of mincemeat simmering right now. Think I made it a little strong though. A whole bottle of brandy can do that. ;-)
Once I can it, it will sit in the basement for a few weeks then it will be ready for the pies.

Does anybody else make real mincemeat?

I haven't but my Mom and Grandpa used to make it each year, with venison. They put whiskey in theirs, Four Roses if I remember right....

Got 6 quarts and 1 pint out of it. Let it simmer for almost 4 hours. Just finishing up in my pressure cooker.
Will be done by morning when the cooker has cooled.

I luv herfrds":ah9kub6g said:
Got a big pot of mincemeat simmering right now. Think I made it a little strong though. A whole bottle of brandy can do that. ;-)
Once I can it, it will sit in the basement for a few weeks then it will be ready for the pies.

Does anybody else make real mincemeat?

No, but I don't like the stuff.

What the he77 is mincemeat? I have always wondered. Looks nasty and I have never eaten it. No, I take that back. I tried it once long ago...

Im confused too. Does the real stuff acctually have meat in it. I think ive only had the fake stuff. I thought it was just fruit peel and rasins....

Yes funky it does have meat in it. Mine is pretty good.
Let's see here:
3lb beef roast cooked, cooled and minced fine
5lbs apples peeled and minced fine
white raisins
dark raisins
citron
currants
cinnamon
allspice
cloves
ginger
apple cider
brown sugar
light corn syrup
Brandy, 1 bottle

Put everything in the large pot and bring to a low simmer stirring constantly. Let simmer for about 3-4 hours. Can in hot jars.
1 quart jar will make 1 pie.

I luv herfrds":13cgf0ti said:
Yes funky it does have meat in it. Mine is pretty good.
Let's see here:
3lb beef roast cooked, cooled and minced fine
5lbs apples peeled and minced fine
white raisins
dark raisins
citron
currants
cinnamon
allspice
cloves
ginger
apple cider
brown sugar
light corn syrup
Brandy, 1 bottle

Put everything in the large pot and bring to a low simmer stirring constantly. Let simmer for about 3-4 hours. Can in hot jars.
1 quart jar will make 1 pie.

Well, the ingredients make it sound pretty good, after all. For some reason I had stored the name away with the likes of "clabber" and lutefisk

I accidently took one bite of a mincemeat pie about 50 years ago. :mrgreen:

I am still waaay over on my quota of mincemeat.

My mother used to freeze it but she added the whiskey after thawing it out just before putting it into the pie so that she would get the full kick out of the whiskey.

Latest posts