Milo to horses

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
A local guy told me I should not be feeding my Crabgrass/Milo Stalk hay to horses and Mules. Said Milo was not good for horses.

Never heard this before, but lots of things I have not heard.

Is there something wrong with this hay for equine?

May be wrong,but think the grain is too "hot" and leads to founder..might be some grain left in the hay?

I've had horses for over 40yrs. Sure wouldn't feed it to mine. First, I don't let mine eat milo grain,it looks too hard to digest, and milo sours easily. I feed a pelleted ration.That waythey don't die from corn mold, and they don't get crazy from that Oat High. Second, I've heard milo farmers say the leaf of some soragum,maize type plants become toxic to horses if cut late in the year.

I've fed Timothy,Bermuda,and Johnson grass without problem, so I do what has worked for me in the past.
I know feed prices, especially hay, are quite high , but I haven't had a vet bill (except coggins check) for 13yrs now on my horses. Good, clean feed has saved me money on the Vet Services.

I NEVER feed second class hay to a horse. Cows, maybe okay, but a horse can get physical problems that can never be cured. Not worth the risk.

I understand that it it's stressed milo gets toxic. If Zack from millironfarm gets on here he'll know for sure. I'd also want to know the protien/sugar content.
I'm feeding Blue Stem for the first time in my life, I don't much like to but it's abot all that's available now other than straw. Hades, their mowing and baling the bar ditches around here and getting $60 a round bale!

I made some calls. Milo has a lot of fat in it but MAY not be safe if it was stressed during either while being grown or cut. These opinions are not based on any scientific studies.

Mike Franklin":i5c0z6mz said:
I understand that it it's stressed milo gets toxic. If Zack from millironfarm gets on here he'll know for sure. I'd also want to know the protien/sugar content.
I'm feeding Blue Stem for the first time in my life, I don't much like to but it's abot all that's available now other than straw. Hades, their mowing and baling the bar ditches around here and getting $60 a round bale!

Yea but you're in Atascosa County. You get $20 of that back in beer cans. Might even find a gun or a couple of knives in a bale for that matter.Z

I did look at a bale that had abig piece of front quarter panel in it. It was in a square bale at a Feed Store south of Poteet.
Ya'll look close at what you're buying. And I didn't buy that bale either!
I know where there's bale that were cut within the last 10 days! Poor stuff even for straw!

Unless something's happened I ain't heard about there are only two feed stores south of Poteet and one of them is Vrana's and I know that's Cox hay. I wouldn't put it past Tinker or Randy to sell something like that though.Z

Latest posts