Millionaire Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/ ... 2781.shtml

The House Agriculture Committee voted Wednesday to ban federal subsidies to farmers with incomes averaging more than $1 million a year and stop farmers from collecting payments for multiple properties. Only farmers whose incomes exceed $2.5 million a year are now disqualified from such aid.

Its a copyrighted story so I didn't know if I could put it here or not but that's the gist of it. I think they could ban subsidies at $500,000 and it still wouldn't affect your average family farmer.

I agree with you completley. They didn't want to ban themselves out of the subsidies. Atleast they are heading in the right direction.

Walt

Their lawyers will find a loophole for them.
The only reason they bought that farm or ranch is so they could pay less taxes by claiming a loss on it.

They should ban all subsidies, what does how much you make have to do with taking what isnt yours?
I'm not for welfare for the rich or the poor.

But in the end they are just trying to buy some votes, if they removed all subsidies including those 2.5 mil and down. There are many more on the gov teat, in the lower group that would vote them out of their job....
politics. Thats all it is.
MD

Everyone on this board benefits from farm subsidies by buying cheap food. In the US we spend the smallest percentage of our income on food than any other industralized nation. Take away all subsidies and land values will drop in many places. More of our food will be imported. IMO, we should fix the system, not trash it.

backhoeboogie":2760kovs said:
redfornow":2760kovs said:
They should ban all subsidies,

Are you running for office? If so, you can count on my vote!

I am working with Crowder on his run right now.
But right after that I will put my name in the hat....

MD

What the heck, it's only money and it all gets spent and back in the economy. :D
It's the 197 billion trade deficit with China, where there's something needs fixin. :help:

redfornow if they stopped the subsidies it would not kill our place, but I could count on both hands and feet the number of places that would go out of production. If theses guys go under who is going to buy their places? The rich or the government.

mnmtranching I agree. I can not find one thing I need for my family without a foreign label on it. Show me the Made In USA and I would grab it in a heart beat.

Frankie":3d30z9gd said:
Everyone on this board benefits from farm subsidies by buying cheap food. In the US we spend the smallest percentage of our income on food than any other industralized nation. Take away all subsidies and land values will drop in many places. More of our food will be imported. IMO, we should fix the system, not trash it.
i agree with you.if something is broken fix it.dont scrap the whole system.because if you do we will become a nation that imports our food from other countries.an insted of spending 15 to 20 cents a dollar on food.we will go to .50 cents of a $1 or more.do away with the ag programs an people will starve to death more than they are now.the number of poor people will quadripple if that happens .

Latest posts