Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":2viza4ay said:
That is a happy cow. It is obvious you have a green thumb.
Can't grow this without rain. It is amazing how long millet can survive on inadequate moisture and still bounce back given some. I don't think a green thumb had much to do with it.

This is the 3rd planting. I plowed the first two up because they died. I was trying to no-till it. Just doesn't work well on this type ground. Ran a disc across it after we got some moisture in July and replanted. Third planting almost died too. But one should expect that planting in July around here. I was rolling my dice for a wet August that we didn't get.

1982vett":1ou8gtmo said:
But one should expect that planting in July around here.

I wondered about that earlier. I've often wondered what a later planting would do. I'm doing a little experiment this year and it will probably call for a late planting of millet. Looks like yours did really well. Maybe my train isn't going to wreck. :nod:

looks good Vette Glad you finally got some rain and some pasture for the cows
I will post a few pics of my Rye that I have planted just got thru planting the last 15 acres or so last nite and we got a lite shower this evening if it comes on like what I planted last month did I will have plenty

checked some tonite that I planted on Sept. 4th and it is over 8 inches tall and had over 20 turkeys and a couple of nice bucks in it earlier this evening

Jogeephus":1mxq2zv1 said:
1982vett":1mxq2zv1 said:
But one should expect that planting in July around here.

I wondered about that earlier. I've often wondered what a later planting would do. I'm doing a little experiment this year and it will probably call for a late planting of millet. Looks like yours did really well. Maybe my train isn't going to wreck. :nod:

I intend to use it again next year. I'll get it in at a more appropriate time hopfully. Maybe plant a little thicker. I planted about 15 lbs an acre. Probably try 20 - 25 next time.

Angus Cowman":3ni62yp1 said:
looks good Vette Glad you finally got some rain and some pasture for the cows
I will post a few pics of my Rye that I have planted just got thru planting the last 15 acres or so last nite and we got a lite shower this evening if it comes on like what I planted last month did I will have plenty

checked some tonite that I planted on Sept. 4th and it is over 8 inches tall and had over 20 turkeys and a couple of nice bucks in it earlier this evening

Temps were in the upper 80s today. Still borderline hot. Scouted for armyworms earlier today. Saw some clover but the ryegrass is still hard to find except under the dripline of the trees. Just about as hard to find the rygrass as it is the worms. The grass shows the worms are here but they are so tiny they are really hard to find.

Arkie,

You would loose a good part of the feed value, as it starts going downhill when it begins forming seedheads. I also wonder how well it would stand up to high winds once it is fully ripened. It sure wouldn't be my choice for stockpiled forage. JMO

Latest posts