Millet

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Millet001.jpg

Millet002.jpg

This is hybrid pearl millet and some Laredo haybeans in early july it was about knee high and I was planning on cutting it the next week but since we have had so much rain I haven't had the oppurtunity to get it cut and baled the millet is right at 8 ft tall and the haybeans inside of it are around 3ft tall

AC, go ahead and ice down some strong drink cause you are gonna need it. I gotta feeling you are in for some epic hay making adventures. Keep us posted how it goes and good luck.

that millet is gonna be a booger to get cured after its cut.an crimping it will help dry it faster.

I'd love to have a herd of goats to turn in on that. I"m hoping I will next year since I'm planning on planting some millet.

dyates":35borfv0 said:
Let's see what your big Kuhn wheel rake thinks about that! :lol:
brandonm_13":35borfv0 said:
He may have to push the piles together with a road grader. ;-)
That new 7230 NH MoCo should take care of any problems those long stems would normally cause. :D

The only millet I've planted was German and it didn't get overly tall. Is it normal for this type of millet to grow to such a height? What kind of tonnage is typical?

dyates":3podnen3 said:
Let's see what your big Kuhn wheel rake thinks about that! :lol:
I bet it will do just fine trick is to only use 1 side and not use all of the wheels on that side if it is to thick
I had rye last year that was broadcast seeded and when we cut it it was over 7 ft tall had to only use 1 side on it also
so thick I had to drop a couple gears to cut it after I wrapped it around the rolls :mad:

novaman":37jvea77 said:
The only millet I've planted was German and it didn't get overly tall. Is it normal for this type of millet to grow to such a height? What kind of tonnage is typical?
This should have been cut about 3-4 weeks ago but it has been to wet and Kenny Thomas and I are estimating it at 5 tons or more per acre (10 bales to the acre at 1000-1200lbs)

Gonna be a nice crop, That mower will handle it and smash up the stems well. Is that a 12 foot swath? I'm thinking big enough swaths without the rake.

mnmtranching":3oinphh8 said:
Gonna be a nice crop, That mower will handle it and smash up the stems well. Is that a 12 foot swath? I'm thinking big enough swaths without the rake.
Cures better if you lay it flat.....well, flat as 8 foot tall millet can lay after being cut. :D

I can't top yours AC, I'm just glad to have some to post a picture of this year. Just wait till next year and we will see what we can or can't do. :p

Chow_Time.JPG

Planted in late July, suffered August heat and drought. Bouncing back pretty good after 9.6 inches of September rain.

0173.JPG

Might could have caught you had we a wee bit more rain. This has a little better watershed. Also a better soil. Cows have been on it since Monday morning.

Latest posts