Millet update

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Well I got all of the millet baled today total was 236 bales off of 28 acres
the millet and haybean combo yeilded a little over 9 bales to the acre weighing 1360lbs
the millet in another field no haybeans made 8 bales to the acre and another field was just less than 8 bales per acre the straight millet bales were weighing 1145lbs
haybeans produce 6 bales to the acre at 1385 lbs per bale

I am glad it is done now I have to take some grass hay out of the barn so I can put this in

I will get some pics tomorrow

A little over 6 ton per acre. Not bad for the first try. Are you coming back with cool-grazer rye? I called Nixa this week and they told me it would be Sep. 1 before they got it in.

Now come the fun part, hauling it. :p

I managed to get about 2 weeks of grazing off of mine. For August is is fairly green around here, just don't have enough moisture to overcome the heat and sunshine and keep things growing.

Yeah, I'm sick of complaining and watching eveything go to crap too. Didn't expect retirement to be so frustrating. :?

Angus Cowman":8jsmbrtr said:
the millet and haybean combo yeilded a little over 9 bales to the acre weighing 1360lbs
the millet in another field no haybeans made 8 bales to the acre and another field was just less than 8 bales per acre the straight millet bales were weighing 1145lbs

I am glad it is done now I have to take some grass hay out of the barn so I can put this in

AC, how does 150 lbs to the inch of height compare to your yield? This is a rule of thumb we use. Just curious.

Vette i ain't a poking at you a bit. I truly wish you and all the other folks down your way would have to start growing web feet tonight. Except for a few i no around Austin.

Glad you got the millet baled AC!!

Jogeephus":2njw94xi said:
Angus Cowman":2njw94xi said:

AC, how does 150 lbs to the inch of height compare to your yield? This is a rule of thumb we use. Just curious.
that is pretty close Jo mine worked out to be about 130lbs per inch so not a bad rulle of thumb

mnmtranching":ewsvbxsx said:
Nice crop, lots of good feed there. How many drying days did it take?
Mowed it Tuesday and started baling some of it saturday but was pushing it just a little yesterday it baled good so 4 1/2 days the thinner stuff went good on Saturday good thing I got it baled cause is raining like a cow pi$$in on a flat rock right now

Got mine up the other day too. Haybeans and Pearl Millet that is. I planted some Tyrones and regular Pearl Millet in one section of the field and some Tara beans and Tifleaf 3 in a small section of the same field. I'm not sure if the Tara's and Tifleaf ain't the way to go, not as much tonnage but a lot finer stems and later maturity on the Tifleaf. Anyway, I wound up getting 85 haylage bales on 14 acres @ ton a piece at @ 50% water. I hope the cows like it because thats what they're gonna get! I might accidentally get one more cutting on the millet, it already wants to come back out.

I planted sudex in with Tyrones in one field and its come back enough I'm gonna turn the heifers in the field in about 2 weeks and let them use up what they can before frost.

Sizmic

Jogeephus":1kx0l8pr said:
Angus Cowman":1kx0l8pr said:

So that makes the millet a little over five feet?

hurleyjd":15kpcqzg said:
Jogeephus":15kpcqzg said:

as I posted earlier mine worked out to around 130lbs per inch as mine was on average 8ft tall
thanks Jo I had never heard that before but it will come in handy

I like rules of thumb but they do lead to a lot to interpretation. I don't measure the total height but the average height of the dense vegetation or in other words the main body height less the stubble height. I've heard some people using 125 lbs per total foot of height but in stands that have been grazed or that are erratic this doesn't lead to good results. All in all its just a guess but I think its fun to trying and call it before you bale it if you know what I mean. Sure helps when you gotta buy plastic to wrap it.

Angus Cowman":d8t7m073 said:
hurleyjd":d8t7m073 said:
Jogeephus":d8t7m073 said:

as I posted earlier mine worked out to around 130lbs per inch as mine was on average 8ft tall
thanks Jo I had never heard that before but it will come in handy
What did you cut it with. Is millet prone to lodging. I planted some hay grazer one time in my life. It was in the height range you mention. There was acres and acres of it that lodged. It was nearly impossible to cut. It took week or better for it to dry and be able to bale it. One man told me that the ideal height to cut haygrazer was one half way between your titties and your navel. Mine was well over my head due to raining and could not get in the field to cut.

hurleyjd":gklja5xh said:
What did you cut it with. Is millet prone to lodging. I planted some hay grazer one time in my life. It was in the height range you mention. There was acres and acres of it that lodged. It was nearly impossible to cut. It took week or better for it to dry and be able to bale it. One man told me that the ideal height to cut haygrazer was one half way between your be nice and your navel. Mine was well over my head due to raining and could not get in the field to cut.
I cut it with a NH 7230disc MoCo and mine was still standing tall if we would of had the wind before I cut it like I did yesterday it would have been blown over

I would have preferred to cut mine 3-4 weeks earlier but was wet all the month of July so this was the first chance I had and luckily I got it up before the rain yesterday

Latest posts