Millennials

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":2kyvjwjp said:
Brute 23":2kyvjwjp said:
One thing I will say about the younger crowd is their ability to learn and adapt can really be really amazing. The problem is 98% don't know how to apply their knowledge and skills in the real world. They literally have never done any thing other than go to school and exist for the first 20-25 years of their life. Sadly, the work place is a culture shock to them.

If you can figure out how to handle them, they can be very productive.

lots of praise and breaks!

never ever say anything that can be taken as "bad"

bunch of pansies :lol2:

Ive seen just as many older guys the same way. I had to line up 3 guys last night from 40-55 years old and get on them for being lazy and they we all crying about having to stay late.

There are no age restrictions on be lazy or a cry baby.

These millenials all yall are complaining is yalls generations' kids and grandkids... why did yall raise them like that?

Brute 23":2uo1kyx3 said:
ddd75":2uo1kyx3 said:
Brute 23":2uo1kyx3 said:
One thing I will say about the younger crowd is their ability to learn and adapt can really be really amazing. The problem is 98% don't know how to apply their knowledge and skills in the real world. They literally have never done any thing other than go to school and exist for the first 20-25 years of their life. Sadly, the work place is a culture shock to them.

Ive seen just as many older guys the same way. I had to line up 3 guys last night from 40-55 years old and get on them for being lazy and they we all crying about having to stay late.

There are no age restrictions on be lazy or a cry baby.

These millenials all yall are complaining is yalls generations' kids and grandkids... why did yall raise them like that?

it's just society now.. everyone is in full luxury.. never want to work or get wet.. anything..

need to keep eating lots of soy to keep that testosterone down.

anyone willing to work or has a little bit of skill.. is going to be in for a good life until they take that away.... 70% tax rates and all...

i'm a millenial btw..

Brute 23":3si67ktc said:

My problem is that they refuse to communicate with people. When I first arrived at my position I thought I knew it all got a QA of about 72%. I need to be 95%+. That about crushed me, but what did I do? I called the lady, learned what I did wrong and made changes. I didn't beg for my points back, didn't whine to anyone.

Same guy as yesterday refused to talk to a provide about changing an order because she's "scary." I emailed her to save time and confusion and she CALLED me back (I have my number in my email). We got it figured out easily and now he'd and I have a good working relationship. Imagine that!

ddd75":26u2pjzo said:
Brute 23":26u2pjzo said:

That's why I work by myself, for myself all the time. I never say a bad word to myself, give myself lots of praise and take as many breaks as I want. I am such a pansy. #pansy4life

But if it keeps me from having to interact with these walking sacks of frustration called coworkers and bosses, I'll gladly take it.

Bestoutwest":3baul8x5 said:
Brute 23":3baul8x5 said:

My problem is that they refuse to communicate with people. When I first arrived at my position I thought I knew it all got a QA of about 72%. I need to be 95%+. That about crushed me, but what did I do? I called the lady, learned what I did wrong and made changes. I didn't beg for my points back, didn't whine to anyone.

Same guy as yesterday refused to talk to a provide about changing an order because she's "scary." I emailed her to save time and confusion and she CALLED me back (I have my number in my email). We got it figured out easily and now he'd and I have a good working relationship. Imagine that!

I agree with that. Its a fault you have to address. They love to email or text rather than pick up the phone. On the same not if you jump their butt every time they talk... don't be surprised if they don't want to open their mouth.

The older guys love to stop and talk and chat with every one. Our guys in the different areas know every one around. That us a good thing IMO.

Aaron":3u9qhern said:
ddd75":3u9qhern said:
Brute 23":3u9qhern said:

That's why I work by myself, for myself all the time. I never say a bad word to myself, give myself lots of praise and take as many breaks as I want. I am such a pansy. #pansy4life

But if it keeps me from having to interact with these walking sacks of frustration called coworkers and bosses, I'll gladly take it.

looks like you're pretty insulted by what I said. Take a break, give yourself some praise. It'll be ok.

ddd75":1g8jwc50 said:
Aaron":1g8jwc50 said:
ddd75":1g8jwc50 said:

looks like you're pretty insulted by what I said. Take a break, give yourself some praise. It'll be ok.

I don't believe you. Calling my psychiatrist right now. He'll coach me through it. :cry:

Brute 23":1z0qx0zw said:

That's the point everyone is trying to make Brute.
This is the first 'generation' that is so self absorbed and feels so 'entitled' that they truly believe it someone/everyone else's job to ''figure out how to handle them'' instead of 'them' adapting to a society and a workplace that's been the status quo since before WW2.
They, as young adults*, still want to be coddled and nurtured in the manner that previous generations were when they were children, and evidently, some folks and employers will do so for them.
This, imo... just adds to the overall p..ification of America.
* I use that term very loosely...

greybeard":2cadvamx said:
Brute 23":2cadvamx said:

That's the point everyone is trying to make Brute.
This is the first 'generation' that is so self absorbed and feels so 'entitled' that they truly believe it someone/everyone else's job to ''figure out how to handle them'' instead of 'them' adapting to a society and a workplace that's been the status quo since before WW2.
They, as young adults*, still want to be coddled and nurtured in the manner that previous generations were when they were children, and evidently, some folks and employers will do so for them.
This, imo... just adds to the overall p..ification of America.
* I use that term very loosely...

That's not true. As a supervision if you are not evaluating how to handle all your employees your not getting the max potential out of them.

I know this is hard to believe... but as supervisors we have to also figure out how to handle older generations. The technology gap of the older generations is becoming more and more of an issue among other things..

Remember that old saying... one person's strength in another person's weakness.

Brute 23":1hsfqfj0 said:
That's not true. As a supervision if you are not evaluating how to handle all your employees your not getting the max potential out of them.

I know this is hard to believe... but as supervisors we have to also figure out how to handle older generations. The technology gap of the older generations is becoming more and more of an issue among other things..

Not hard to believe at all. Ignorance of any rapidly and ever-changing technology has never been a crime or seen as a negative aspect of any part of society or industry. Being too lazy to embrace it tho, is on par with expecting employers to make special exceptions with how a parent raised the current young workforce. If it's the parent's fault they were raised that way, it's equally the employers' fault that the millennial's self absorbed outlook and lifestyle is perpetuated and even accepted.

I used to think the supervisors' coddling reactions in those millennial YouTube videos were 100% satire but thru this thread's illumination, I'm now of the understanding they are not satire at all and really are legit training vids on how to kiss a millennial's back side and assuage their delicate egos.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/201 ... df094a1e87

greybeard":11jwr0tx said:
Brute 23":11jwr0tx said:

Not hard to believe at all. Ignorance of any rapidly and ever-changing technology has never been a crime or seen as a negative aspect of any part of society or industry. Being too lazy to embrace it tho, is on par with expecting employers to make special exceptions with how a parent raised the current young workforce. If it's the parent's fault they were raised that way, it's equally the employers' fault that the millennial's self absorbed outlook and lifestyle is perpetuated and even accepted.

I used to think the supervisors' coddling reactions in those millennial YouTube videos were 100% satire but thru this thread's illumination, I'm now of the understanding they are not satire at all and really are legit training vids on how to kiss a millennial's back side and assuage their delicate egos.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/201 ... df094a1e87

What choice does an employer have? There are not more baby boomers entering the workforce. You better learn how to handle millenials or you will not be in business.

No one is kissing their backside. They just value different things and see things from a different perspective. When it comes time to negotiating employment those things need to be kept in mind.

I know they have videos of some truly stupid people online but that's not the whole group.

Im out in west texas right now in an oil boom and there is no shortage of 20-30 years olds out here. I cant tell you how many young men are walking in my door and flat out saying... I know I dont have much experience but Im here to work. If you will give me a shot, Ill bust my butt. You can look at their resumes and their progression from one job to the next, climbing their way up. Its actually very refreshing. You ask about hours, call outs, etc... they all say no problem and emphasize... Im here to work. Some of them have not had a day off in 6-9 months. We just hired one who got fired because he wanted 3 days off to go home to his grandmothers funeral. He's a damn good guy... that company screwed up. Some have kids and are looking for steady schedules. When I tell them they will be working 10/4 they start smiling... and 2 weeks vacation... they are trying to hold it back.

These guys are busting it out here... you can look at them and they are tired. They have gotten a good dose of life in a hurry.

Lawsuits and big company's HR departments have led to the babying of the whole workforce. That started long before millenials entered the market.

That's one more thing that was implemented by generations before while millenials were still in diapers.

Brute 23":yklzis3c said:
Lawsuits and big company's HR departments have led to the babying of the whole workforce. That started long before millenials entered the market.

The younger generation is always viewed as having some shortcoming. That said - - most new hires work to live, not live to work. I never learned that one. Short term you can try to hire older workers with a traditional work ethic, but eventually they will either retire or die on the job... Are many US employers happy to just have someone show up?

Big company HR here is worried they will not be able to hire and retain enough minorities. So they set up undocumented quotas, promote the unskilled, and end up with reverse discrimination... Does this seem like progress?

Over 40 years ago when I worked in the brush on high lead logging not more than 1 in 3 or 4 young guys who came out to work would make it. This was hard dangerous work in adverse conditions. And there was an old saying that you ran in for your job and out for your life. They weren't joking about running either. Today I have a young (40) friend who is a hook tender (the lead man) on a logging show. The stories he tells about the new guys are very different from my stories. Just some details, 40 years ago a new guy didn't show up with a smart phone. But they still yell and cuss at slow guys. They still expect you to run. And the majority still don't make it. But there are ones who do. My son who is an iron worker says the same sort of thing about the crew he has working for him.

Stocker Steve":2x4pst3j said:
Brute 23":2x4pst3j said:

The younger generation is always viewed as having some shortcoming. That said - - most new hires work to live, not live to work. I never learned that one. Short term you can try to hire older workers with a traditional work ethic, but eventually they will either retire or die on the job... Are many US employers happy to just have someone show up?

Big company HR here is worried they will not be able to hire and retain enough minorities. So they set up undocumented quotas, promote the unskilled, and end up with reverse discrimination... Does this seem like progress?

I don't disagree with you on most of that. Do you expect some one to live to work?

I don't care what some ones motivations are as long as they fill the position set out by the company.

These guys are busting it out here... you can look at them and they are tired. They have gotten a good dose of life in a hurry.
That, is the minimum that has always been expected in the oil patch.

before. the motivation to work was.. family.. house.. values.. most people had a family at a young age.. needed to support them and worked if they liked it or not.

today.. most are having a family a lot later in life if at all.. no one else to support.. and you still live / have the option of living at home at any age.. someone else to take care of you if you need it.. its the whole.. me me me philosophy ..

but yea.. not all are like that.

After the destruction of the towers and the pentagon there were young men volunteering to go fight. I know one that volunteer in the national guard graduate in May and was in Iraq by July. Would not have turned 18 until November. So I would challenge you old heads that think you know everything to ****. There a bunch of these kids that are not buying the BS put out there.

hurleyjd":52btcmv7 said:
After the destruction of the towers and the pentagon there were young men volunteering to go fight. I know one that volunteer in the national guard graduate in May and was in Iraq by July. Would not have turned 18 until November. So I would challenge you old heads that think you know everything to ****. There a bunch of these kids that are not buying the BS put out there.

My youngest signed up after the towers.
Ended up sargent on an Air Force Combat Control team.