Milking

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeJoel

Reaction score
Beginner at milking.
Never had to REALLY milk before (done it with machine).

The cow finally let us milk it (some of course, it will be a little while before were good enough to milk quickly). Besides I was mainly wanting to just get a little out so she would be more comfortable (we were planning to leave the cow and calf without milking for a few days).

Is it ok to milk by stripping (I think that is what it is called. You run the fingers down the teat to get the milk instead of rolling through the hand).

I thought I heard once that stripping wasnt good for the cow's teats. The cow seemed more comfortable when I did it this way. When I tried the "correct" way she became irritated (though I must admit by that time my hands were tired and I may have not been doing it right).

Thank you
Mike

Generally when we talk about "stripping" in a bad way, it's in relation to use of the milking machine. Like with the milker on the cow, and as she gets close to "done" one quarter - or more - isn't completely milked out. Or the person milking cows is in a hurry. :oops: Downward pressure on the inflation for that particular troublesome quarter DOES cause it to milk out faster, but there's a general agreement that use of the milker like that isn't good for the cow. (Besides the fact that it "trains" them to hold that last bit of milk up until you come put that extra pressure/weight on the milker.)

FWIW, calves "strip" a cow like that - watch 'em sometime. They'll pull back on the teat, and then head-butt up to try to get the cow to let down more, pull down again...etc. I asked my boss about that one once; he said the difference is that the calves are consistant and they do it the same way every time. People generally aren't consistant, and some days we'll get a cow milked out one way, and the next day we'll do it different...or there'll be someone else in the parlor who arranges the milkers differently.

Basically, whatever you do, it has to be consistant when it comes to cows.

To the original question -- I don't believe I know of any other way to milk a cow. Esp if there isn't enough room for a whole hand around the teat. You're fine. ;-)

Latest posts