Milking Shorthorn

Help Support CattleToday:

They'll raise a whale of a calf. It may take a little more feed to keep her going. They just milk to much.

I remember a dairy farmer 40+ years ago that loved his milking shorthorn herd because he would calve them in October, and they'd all go dry by June giving him all summer of for crops and fishing.

I'm hesitant about putting up a pic of mama but here we go anyway. She's in poor poor shape. Worse than Bessie was I'm almost positive. Vet called her 4 years old. The owner said she was a 3 year old. She starting going downhill after calving.
20211206_070506.jpg
I'm giving her the same treatment as Bessie had. She will live in this pen a while. She's been wormed and got some la300. She had a BATTLE with pinkeye in both eyes pretty bad. She is not blind but I can tell her vision isn't great.
Judging from the cockleburrs and what not shes had it rough. Real rough between that and fighting off the pinkeye and raising this lil bull (steer now) calf. She does not have a lot of milk. That's to be expected with the condition she's in. The feed should help and the calf obviously knows how to eat creep. I gave them my last bale of nice wheat hay!

Wife says she the candy cane cow! 😆
She named her Lizzie.
I'm a call her Lillibet.

Anyway. Stay tuned!
We will see if I screwed up or not...

I'm hesitant about putting up a pic of mama but here we go anyway. She's in poor poor shape. Worse than Bessie was I'm almost positive. Vet called her 4 years old. The owner said she was a 3 year old. She starting going downhill after calving.
View attachment 10857
I'm giving her the same treatment as Bessie had. She will live in this pen a while. She's been wormed and got some la300. She had a BATTLE with pinkeye in both eyes pretty bad. She is not blind but I can tell her vision isn't great.
Judging from the cockleburrs and what not shes had it rough. Real rough between that and fighting off the pinkeye and raising this lil bull (steer now) calf. She does not have a lot of milk. That's to be expected with the condition she's in. The feed should help and the calf obviously knows how to eat creep. I gave them my last bale of nice wheat hay!

Wife says she the candy cane cow! 😆
She named her Lizzie.
I'm a call her Lillibet.

Anyway. Stay tuned!
We will see if I screwed up or not...
I would probably give her some Multi-min90, AD&E, and some probiotics. She should straighten out with time.

I would probably give her some Multi-min90, AD&E, and some probiotics. She should straighten out with time.
The prior owner said she was on liquid feed. Didn't get details but from the looks of her, she probly didn't have a whole lot of anything else. I'm positive she needed forage of some sort to go with that liquid feed. And with THAT many cockle burrs u can bet there wasn't anything available right?

I'll check into those items. I'm feeding her 20% cubes and the best hay I had. Going slow but she's a piggy! And her calf is too!! He loves creep feed!
She's got a pretty messy stool, but it's already firming up just a bit.

Edited to add...
O! And a handful of them free soybeans in the evening feeding. Love that!

We used solid red SH sires over 3/4AN-1/4SM cows for about 10 years. No roans, only one or two with white markings... out of older cows carrying the Simmental 'spotting' gene; did get a few reds which took a hit at the salebarn. The steers were, for the most part, the best we ever raised.
One set of 9 steers, from a progeny-test breeding trial we did for Waukaru Shorthorns, went to a feedlot trial with ~150 other steers (Shorthorns, Angus, SimAngus), and all finished in the top half, most in the top 20%. One of ours was the top steer for ADG, WDA, HCW, REA/cwt, % Retail Product; finished low Choice YG 3. Made me feel pretty good about the genetics in our cow herd.

Most of the heifers were very good, though some sired by extreme high-growth epd sires were too hard-keeping, and flunked out pretty early in their careers.

This cow is very big boned. She weighs about 750lbs. Whereas she should be 1400 easy. I have some pics but she's in such bad shape I will not post them now. My plan with this cow is to let her finish raising her boy, then I'll probly sell her after getting some condition on her. She's an open 4 year old. She will not even be with a bull.

Appreciate the comments on shorthorns! I've seen a few pretty impressive animals around. There's just not many around here. Not really the direction I'm wanting to go with my herd. She was just extremely well bought!

I have some plans for this coming year. If all works out well, I have a few too many cows, I'll sell a few older cows and buy me a couple of upgrading type cows. This gal is one of my projects for the winter. Altho I just can't help but wonder how she would do next year......

This cow is very big boned. She weighs about 750lbs. Whereas she should be 1400 easy. I have some pics but she's in such bad shape I will not post them now. My plan with this cow is to let her finish raising her boy, then I'll probly sell her after getting some condition on her. She's an open 4 year old. She will not even be with a bull.

Appreciate the comments on shorthorns! I've seen a few pretty impressive animals around. There's just not many around here. Not really the direction I'm wanting to go with my herd. She was just extremely well bought!

I have some plans for this coming year. If all works out well, I have a few too many cows, I'll sell a few older cows and buy me a couple of upgrading type cows. This gal is one of my projects for the winter. Altho I just can't help but wonder how she would do next year......
If she gets in condition that she comes in heat breed her. Never let a young cow stay open. Open means slaughter usually. If bred someone might really like her and give hundreds more than slaughter price.

I have been quarantining.
Sadly. I think this one may have hardware. She eats feed real nice. But doesn't fill herself up on hay.
This morning there is a small amount of blood in her scat.
This one may have been a mistake....

Calf is doing swell tho!

She pooped in her kids food bowl!
20211210_080519.jpg
She was starting to firm up but as you can see she's very loose now.
I'm gonna cut her feed(even tho I'm not giving much) and see if the hay will help firm things up.
She was just preg checked so perhaps I may be jumping to conclusions prematurely. I've heard hardware causes them to arch/hunch their back. And she is definitely not having that symptom. The guy doing the preg checking now has big ol arms and ain't exactly gentle. I miss the gal that had the super fancy ultrasound machine.
Anyway. We will see...

Going to go spend 26 cents and I'll be back later tonight with pictures and a new thread!
Super excited.

I don't think you'd see any blood in the stool from hardware, any bleeding would happen in the rumen, this is fresh blood and probably from the colon.. with that little bit I wouldn't worry at this point on that subject

Latest posts