milking cow

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
So If you had some one that was willing to milk a cow for you 7 days a week, would you have a milking cow on your farm? Is it safe? It seems to be from the past answers. As long as the cow is tested for Bangs and TB. Is it worth it and can you only milk a cow once a day? I heard that is possible. Let me know? Or is twice a day the norm.

lancemart":wgvck1z0 said:
So If you had some one that was willing to milk a cow for you 7 days a week, would you have a milking cow on your farm? Is it safe? It seems to be from the past answers. As long as the cow is tested for Bangs and TB. Is it worth it and can you only milk a cow once a day? I heard that is possible. Let me know? Or is twice a day the norm.

If I could get Dad talked into it, we would have a milk cow now. As far as safe is concerned, that question has been answered several times over in past threads. To me, simply knowing where the cow came from, what she has been fed, her history, health, etc, not to mention the fact that home-grown milk tastes so much better than store-bought and lets not forget the bonus of that lovely cream, would make it worth it. It is my understanding that for best production, a cow has to be milked twice a day, it is the regular emptying of her bag that ensures production. Not the mention the fact that if she is only milked once a day, she is going to be pretty uncomfortable by the next milking time, and her milk production may fluctuate or even drop off.

Twice a day unless you have a calf to take the rest of it. And yes,it is safe.What breed is it? You can make wonderful homemade butter and things.You can also get a pateurizer that would be safer.Raw milk is good,and good for you too. ;-) :cboy:

milk is as pure as you can get an fresh from cow means its not stripped down water its best to keep her milkout 2x a day an you can leave some in her both milkings for the calf scott

Latest posts