milk scours

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
Haven't had scours in 6 or 7 years. New calf 2weeks old the one I mentioned that belonged to Charlie, had a white smeared butt last night and seemed kind of lethargic.
I didn't have anything but brand new bottle of la300 and expired nuflor. I went with 3 ml. Of la300. Went by feed store and got some calf scour boluses. Then I noticed it seems they have the same base ingredients. Bolus have oxytetracycline Hcl and la300 is also oxcytetracycline doesn't say Hcl.
I went back while ago and it's butt was dry, definitely wasn't lethargic, therefore I skipped the boluse. Don't think I could have caught her.
Also watched her pee twice first time a small bucket full. I was gonna pinch her hide to see if she was dehydrated but it seemed sort of pointless with all the urine flow...
From what I read about milk scours they can be caused by a calf not eating much for a while then overeating. Then the milk sours on its stomach. It's been real hot and I think the calf is laying in shade all day then pigging out. It cooled off a bunch last night and supposed to stay that way for a few days. Maybe that helps.
Have I missed anything obvious?
This calf didn't get colostrum in first 24 hours, and put me through the wringer teaching it to nurse the cow, took almost a week in the chute everyday til it caught on.
Sorry I wrote a novel, just looking for ideas if I should do something else.

If you're feeding grain to the cow, cut her way back or cut it out entirely.

No grain, I have a lot of grass this year, bunch of clover. She gives a lot of milk.

It's been real hot and I think the calf is laying in shade all day then pigging out.

This won't cause scours, letting calves have as much as they want once a day is as successful a rearing system as any other
(caveat: do not try this without lots of prior experience in calf rearing) but I'll bet calf and momma know what they're doing

Had cattle 40 of my almost 57 years, but only dealt with scours twice in calves (that I can remember). So any advice is appreciated.
Last time I had scour problems, I caused it. We had a late snow storm and 4 early calving cows. I thought I was being protective and kept all 8 of them in a barn for a few days. They all got scours, the calves got bloody scours. They all made it. Lot of doctoring by me to fix things.. I live in Missouri , don't normally deal with blizzards.

Jave the just recently been turned out into the clover. We've only gotten milk scours during the spring flush and usually only in pastures with a lot of clover.

Dun, yes they have, last week. The previous field has clover, but nothing like the field they are in now. A little more hot and dry days will probably take care of that.
Hate to move them back in the other field it needs to recoup.
I said she wasn't on grain, but the cow got a lot of grain while I was putting her in the chute everyday for almost a week teaching the calf where the food comes from. She hasn't had any in a week though.

Just leave them where they are for now. Their system usually catches up and adjusts to the hotter milk. Benign neglect. Unless the calf starts to act off we just keep an eye on them and don;t treat them.

Latest posts