Milk Replacers

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I have always used a 20-20 All Milk replacer, but I've recently heard about another formula. Its an 18% fat 22% protein, it was specially formulated for dairy heifers. When I was at the feed mill a couple weeks ago the owner said that he had a a few people try it and like it, as they did a side-by-side study. The dairyman had told him that the heifers would grow up in height quicker instead of getting fat. That was the only experience I've ever heard of, so i don't know if that was incidental or not.

Has anybody ever tried it? Or does anybody want to give an opinion on it? Even if you've never tried it I would like some thoughts on it.

I probably won't try it, but I might have a chance at some holstein heifers and was curious to know what people thought. I'm not sure on the price difference, even if there is much of a one.

You seldom have to worry about holstein heifers getting fat on milk replacer anyway. I'd like to see more of what is on the tag as far as guarantees and ingredients.

Yeah, I'm not worried about fattening heifers on milk replacers either. I haven't seen the tag one it, I was in the feed mill and asked him what milk replacer prices were doing and he rattled numbers. He included that one, I'd never really heard anything about it so i was curious.

Farmgirl, usually the lower fat higher protien milk replacers are used in accelerated programs . The one that I have used is a 26/15 . With this program the calf ends up eating up to a lb of powder twice daily . I had trouble with increased scours in the first 10 days with this milk, so what I did was start calves on 20/20 and around day 10 when the scours decreased I phased out the 20/20 and added the 26/15 . I increased milk more slowly than what the bag recomended, by day 15 we were at about a lb twice daily, at day 30 we started to back off on milk in anticipation of weaning .

I think there are some benefits to this program, but I think there are some management challenges that go with it .

Larry

Thanks Larry, the results that I heard make more sense now. :D Maybe I should have taken a look at a bag of it. :oops:

Did you see much difference in price per pound gained?

FarmGirl10 said:
Thanks Larry, the results that I heard make more sense now. :D Maybe I should have taken a look at a bag of it. :oops:

Did you see much difference in price per pound gained?[/quote]

Not much difference, the calves weaned easier on the lower fat content and were bigger and had much better condition .

Larry

Thanks Larry, unless I get those heifers I probably won't have bucket calves for a long time, BUT I definately will pass this on to my brother. What brand makes it?

Farmgirl, the one I ysed was Veal Tech, but I think a lot of companies make something similar . I thinke Akey has one called Pinacle, which I'm sure is good .

Larry

I have always used a 20/20 milk replacer but have never been satisfied with the poor growth I see in the calves. I am seriously looking at going to a higher protein replacer. I found a 26/20 replacer that I want to try. The tag says to feed 4 quarts per feeding at 9 days. My question is, will this higher volume of milk make the calves more prone to scouring? How much will I gain by switching to a higher protein level?

Thanks Larry.

Novaman, I've had the same problems with not seeing the results that I wanted using milk replacer. And I even feed it at a higher rate then the directions on the bag said to. I think too feed that much you will want to build them up to it like Larry said before. Hopefully he will come back and give you more info on higher protein milk replacers.

My suggestion is that if you're not having trouble with scours with the milk you are currently feeding, then start the calves on your old milk for 10 days, then start phasing in the high protein, low fat milk .

I think you will see about a 10 % increase in weight at weaning and the calves will be taller and thicker .With accelerated programs it is even more important to feed milk 12 hours apart . Some of the biggest wrecks are caused by trying to feed calves twice in an 8 hour shift .

Larry

Latest posts