MILK REPLACER

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
which milk replacer is the best to feed? i feed purina.it is 22% protein and 12% fat.

I prefer thee 22 and 22 stuff. As long as it is milk and milk byproducts and no soy that should work fine. But keep in mind that in cold weather you need more fat in the MR

piedmontese":2tj12x0p said:
which milk replacer is the best to feed? i feed purina.it is 22% protein and 12% fat.
The protein is ok but the fat is way low. Get a 20/20, 24/24 or whatever. If you've had experience raising a lot of bottle calves you can make it work even with soy flour in it but I'd look for an "All Milk" milk replacer loaded with vitamins and minerals. They need that extra fat for energy.

I am finding that I have far better luck with a 25-26% protein milk replacer. The fat is 15-20% depending on what time of year. The higher protein:fat ratio seems to give better lean tissue and structural growth without getting the calves fat. They are very healthy and grow like weeds.

novaman":al4ei7rw said:
I am finding that I have far better luck with a 25-26% protein milk replacer. The fat is 15-20% depending on what time of year. The higher protein:fat ratio seems to give better lean tissue and structural growth without getting the calves fat. They are very healthy and grow like weeds.
You can get holstein bottle calves "too fat"?? Wow we never had that problem. :eek:

TexasBred":211hb70k said:
novaman":211hb70k said:
You can get holstein bottle calves "too fat"?? Wow we never had that problem. :eek:
I guess I was in a hurry when I posted that. I didn't mean the calves get fat. I mean the calves tend to lay in some fat rather than muscling well. They don't actually get fat but they don't build as much lean tissue and structure (in my opinion) on a 20/20 or any other MR with even protein:fat.

Nova you probably know more about the MR than me as we didnt' use it at all but typically a 20:20 will suffice for the person wanting to raise an occasional calf on a bottle. For those that make a living doing it I'm sure you guys have found what works best for you. ;-)