Milk Replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

Beckett

Reaction score
I have a couple 60 lb heifer calves. I need to know how much milk replacer to give to them? I forgot the ratio per lb, and i dont think ive ever had a calf this small before. Every year its like a new begining for me. It gets worse with age too. :)

Thanks in advance,
Beckett

What size calf are the directions directed to? 90-100 lbs?? Just use 2/3 as much of the milk replacer as the mixing directions recommend but try to still get a minimum of 4 qts of mix into the calf every.

Well absolutely I'm going to confuse the guy with different advice...

*Don't* alter the mixing ratio. Have clean water available, as you would for any calf - you don't need to feed all their fluids via bottle and the calf doesn't need proportionally more fluids than a larger calf.

Although the bag never specifies it (that I've used) the recommendations are usually for a 90lb calf. Your calves are 2/3 the size and should start on 2/3 the milk, mixed as directed. It was 125g/litre when I was using milk powder, but may be different with other products.

Alhtough I think a lot of scours in small calves is directly related to rearers expecting them to drink the same quantity as much larger ones, it's also true that they tend to be less robust, more susceptible to problems... so take that bit extra care with feeding and bedding down and general hygiene and you should have a good result.

Water doesn't scour. Milk scours. Calves do learn to drink water from a bucket but it takes a while to learn. In the meantime a few ounces of extra water via bottle isn't going to hurt anything as long as you don't force it on them.

regolith":1trij2dc said:
Didn't we have this discussion a few days ago?

I'm sure it's been discussed numerous times. There are numerous ways to feed calves and I suppose as long as it works for you then it's the right way. ;-)

Last night was there first feeding. i mixed 3 pints water to the correct powdwer ratio for all of them. To my suprise 3 out of 4 went to the water and drank then malled around in the calf starter. No scours as of yet. I have bad luck with scouring calves. I think my wife is feeding them at noon and not telling me. ;-)

Thanks for the advice. greatly appeciated.

Beckett

Beckett":352kfwg3 said:
Last night was there first feeding. i mixed 3 pints water to the correct powdwer ratio for all of them. To my suprise 3 out of 4 went to the water and drank then malled around in the calf starter. No scours as of yet. I have bad luck with scouring calves. I think my wife is feeding them at noon and not telling me. ;-)

Thanks for the advice. greatly appeciated.

Beckett
That will get you some scours especially if what she's feeding them is over and above normal feedings.

Ive been feeding 6 oz of milk replacer to 3 pints of water. No scouring at all as of yet. Usually it will happed before now so i think im in the clear for this group. Bought a 90 lb red calf (Dont know what breed) Pictures of him are in the breed thread.
Hes 4 days old so i will be watching him for now. All is well and thanks for all the info. You ladies and gents are the best.

Thanks again,
Beckett

Latest posts