milk or no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

BlondeD

Reaction score
A first calf heifer delivered her calf and things were ok for the first 3-4 days. Her udder never was large....or even medium.......but then she just dried up. I eventually lost the calf on an up & down ride of de hydration etc. Is this cow and one-and-done....cull....or would a second breeding get her going???? Not attached to 2nd chances....but don't normally throw in the towel either.
Thanks

Without knowing her health status, BSC condition & breed at calving its impossible to offer suggestions. Give us more info please.

Sorry...........she will be a 3 yr old next week.....was in a group of 6 we prepped for AI work last year. AI date was June 21 last year and weight at that time was 1005. Health status was good...BSC was about 6+.....wintered well on hay, residual pasture and tubs.

I wouldn't want to feed her another year and risk having it happen again.. I had a 10 year old cow that happened to once.. very heavy milking cow, she had lots of colostrum for the calf but never made milk, noticed it in time when the calf was feeling down, grafted him onto another cow and butchered the momma

I know this sort of thing can happen when they calve at 2 years but I don't think holding them over until 3 helps plus you have an extra year of feed in them when things like this go wrong. Yeh she needs to go out the door and cut your losses.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I know this sort of thing can happen when they calve at 2 years but I don't think holding them over until 3 helps plus you have an extra year of feed in them when things like this go wrong. Yeh she needs to go out the door and cut your losses.

Ken

we used to breed to have first calf at 3 years old.. we didn't find any improvement in the quality of cows they became, and feeding them that extra year to still have a dud got old real quick

I agree with previous post that she should go to town. In my experience, if a first calf heifer does not meet my expectations, she is gone. even if she does not claim her calf at first or raises a less that expected calf. It is hard to make herd improvements in your herd when you keep poorly producing replacements.

Off with her head. Not worth the risk (and feed cost for another 2 years) of it happening again, or she's just a poor milker. You've already got 24mos+ invested in her, 24 more and she'll never make you any money unless she outlives you...

Latest posts