Milk for Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am interested in buying a couple of beef cows in order to raise beef mainly for myself and my family. I would like to go with Hereford or Angus but I have been told that neither Hereford or Angus cows give enough milk to adequately feed their calves. I would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

[email protected]

> generalizations are dangerous, back when angus looked like little bricks with feet the calves could die of thirst,( they were called Aberdeen back then) We also had problems with some bloodlines of polled herfords. 30 yrs later the nomilking lines have pretty well been culled out, any breed that shoots for and exceeds 500lb weaning wts produces milk.LOOK I SAID SOMETHING NICE ABOUT ANGUS

I totally disagree with the statement that Angus and Hereford don't have enough milk to feed there calves! Both breeds are excellent milkers. They are also great mothers and raise good calves from birth to weaning.

Herefords in the last 100 years, and Angus the past 20 years, have in The USA been The Improving Breeds...It is hard not to see their affect on our beef cattle. Thus it is hard not to think of them and their F-1 crosses to be the best... I will also say that Brahams( in hot areas are also valued) We will have to wait a while to see if the more modern breeds (modern to USA) will stand the test of time.. ALF

[email protected]

The technical term for that is B.S.

dun

> I am interested in buying a couple
> of beef cows in order to raise
> beef mainly for myself and my
> family. I would like to go with
> Hereford or Angus but I have been
> told that neither Hereford or
> Angus cows give enough milk to
> adequately feed their calves. I
> would like to hear what you have
> to say. Thanks.

I am answering this based upon your statement of meat for your personal use, and not something to sell at auction. In all honesty, and I will probably get yelled at for this, I would recommend a Good (polled?) Shorthorn Momma, and the pappa being either a Shorthorn or Angus or Hereford. If the Pappa is a good Shorthorn, they still have the record for the largest rib-eye of all breeds when slaughtered, your calves will be great and have a LOT of meat. Their meat tasts great, the momma's are often Dual Purpose, and if tame you can actually pull a few quarts daily off for the family use, thought none of my three Shorthorn Cows would let me get that close! Shorthorn Cows and Calves and Bulls are BIG when compared to most other beef breeds. Eaglewerks

> to say. Thanks.

[email protected]

I hope the shorthorns in your area are better than show animals in mine. The breeders around here have been breeding for show only and the result is a poor doing animal. They sure look pretty all dolled up for the show but have very large calves and poor milking ability.

> to say. Thanks.

Murray Grey's would be an excellent choice and would meet your needs to a "T">

[email protected]

I was fortunate to be around a herd that was rather static genetic wise for nearly a century. Sadly theywere sold of at an estate auction by the distant heirs once the last family rancher died. Those cows were large, docile, the bulls also were docile to the extreme. The cows had larger udders, but not as large as milking holsteins. Much larger than Herefords however. Those cows raised big and healthy and hearty calves on a yearly basis. They ranged in color from pure white to a deep red, and also a roan (red & White). When I mover to Missouri I went looking for Old Shorthorns for my hobby farm. I have one Very Large 6 or 7 year old Roan, her 4 year old Daughter (pure white) and another solid red. They are all papered "purebred" and not "fullblood" as there was a milking shorthorn in the woodpile in all of their backgrounds. My ladies have no calving problems that I am aware of. They all had a heavy and BIG 6 month old calf at their sides when I bought them, and the calves went to another buyer. They bellowed for their youngsters for a full week, and it took them about three weeks to dry up, and once dry they seem to have no udder. They are now all in their first tri-mester from mateing with my purebred Angus bull. The cows are at this two or three month time nearly as broad as a late trimester angus! They are also about two feet taller at the shoulders and their heads are a good 1/3 larger. My angus bull's head is only as tall as their back! I did not see him, but he must have been a real acrobat!

I am looking forward to see what they calve later this year.

Eaglewerks

[email protected]

> to say. Thanks.

I am by no means an expert, but I do have a few Herefords and more than a few Angus - they calve each year and provide plenty of milk for their young.

[email protected]

Sounds like you have some excellent animals. Some of the best angus genetics we bought to start our registered angus herd came from an old time breeder. 3/4 of the original animals are still in production in our herd or several other startup herds. Most of the animals are over 12 years of age and some are 16.

pat
> I was fortunate to be around a
> herd that was rather static
> genetic wise for nearly a century.
> Sadly theywere sold of at an
> estate auction by the distant
> heirs once the last family rancher
> died. Those cows were large,
> docile, the bulls also were docile
> to the extreme. The cows had
> larger udders, but not as large as
> milking holsteins. Much larger
> than Herefords however. Those cows
> raised big and healthy and hearty
> calves on a yearly basis. They
> ranged in color from pure white to
> a deep red, and also a roan (red
> & White). When I mover to
> Missouri I went looking for Old
> Shorthorns for my hobby farm. I
> have one Very Large 6 or 7 year
> old Roan, her 4 year old Daughter
> (pure white) and another solid
> red. They are all papered
> "purebred" and not
> "fullblood" as there was
> a milking shorthorn in the
> woodpile in all of their
> backgrounds. My ladies have no
> calving problems that I am aware
> of. They all had a heavy and BIG 6
> month old calf at their sides when
> I bought them, and the calves went
> to another buyer. They bellowed
> for their youngsters for a full
> week, and it took them about three
> weeks to dry up, and once dry they
> seem to have no udder. They are
> now all in their first tri-mester
> from mateing with my purebred
> Angus bull. The cows are at this
> two or three month time nearly as
> broad as a late trimester angus!
> They are also about two feet
> taller at the shoulders and their
> heads are a good 1/3 larger. My
> angus bull's head is only as tall
> as their back! I did not see him,
> but he must have been a real
> acrobat!

> I am looking forward to see what
> they calve later this year.

> Eaglewerks

just buy any Continental dual purpose cattle you can select among the most known Simmental,Tarentaise, Normande,(Normande will give you extra milk) with any of them you will also have excellent carcass traits.

> to say. Thanks.

[email protected]

Latest posts