Milk EPD on Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
How many pay attention to the milk EPD on their bull selection? I know if you aren't keeping daughters it doesn't matter but there are many Simmental and SimAngus sires right now that are being used that their milk EPD just looks bad to me. Whether not the numbers are true I don't know but I like trying to keep mine in the 20-30 range, prefer 20-25.

FlyingLSimmentals":2pmy1o8t said:
There are many Simmental and SimAngus sires right now that are being used that their milk EPD just looks bad to me. Whether not the numbers are true I don't know but I like trying to keep mine in the 20-30 range, prefer 20-25.

Low Milking EPD usually means that the bull leans more to their beef side than their dairy side in the case for dual purpose breeds, so if you want replacement heifers, use higher milking EPD bulls, but if the bull is for a F1 or three way cross, I would use lower milking EPD bulls.

I've got some rimrock in the tank, he went from a 19.x last yr to 14 this yr. Ticks a guy off. But whatever, I'll still use it up.

WS A Step Up is a 2.8
ZKCC Chopper is -1.4
Whirl of a Dream is 9.4
LLSF Pays to Believe is 14.4
Mr HOC Broker is 5.6
PRS Blazin Hot is 3.7
Some examples low bulls

FlyingLSimmentals":36t8kr53 said:
ZKCC Chopper is -1.4
Some examples low bulls
Let me check him out... :cboy:

Edit. I didn't know he was a Black Simmental...

Supa Dexta":t39p7d0w said:
I've got some rimrock in the tank, he went from a 19.x last yr to 14 this yr. Ticks a guy off. But whatever, I'll still use it up.

So just a question, well a couple... How do you like the Rimrock calves?

His milk EPD is in the bottom 5% but his MCE is top 10%, API is top 1% and his STAY is top 25%. so these alone tell me to keep every heifer from him if that is what you want. If the cow's milk # is fine then why would Rimrock's milk number being so low hurt?

We've got a bunch of Blazin' Hot daughters coming on... first ones will be calving next fall. Guess we'll see how they do.
I'll bet they can't be as bad as a couple of the Shorthorn sires we've used lately - steers were great, but they sucked the milk production right out of the reasonably milky SimAngus base behind those heifers.
Liking the Blazin' Hots well enough that we're probably going back to him as a principal AI sire. Dispositions are GREAT!, and he does a good job of sticking a white or blaze face on 'em.

Lucky_P":yq2qcjw1 said:
I'll bet they can't be as bad as a couple of the Shorthorn sires we've used lately - steers were great, but they sucked the milk production right out of the reasonably milky SimAngus base behind those heifers.
I was afraid that might happen with some of the bulls you had meantioned using. Shorthorn has terminal sires and maternal sires just like any other breed.

Latest posts