milk cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How many times a day does a new born calf need to nurse and how long each time? How many times a day does a 2 month old calf need to nurse and how long? I am thinking of purchasing a milk cow. By that I mean a cow used as a wet nurse for calves with no mother to nurse from. How often does a "milk cow" need to nurse to maintain a good milk supply?

[email protected]

I milk Jersey cows and also bottle raise Jersey and Angus cross calves (7 Jerseys right now)

The calves are fed twice a day at approximately 12 hour intervals. Same with the cows, milked twice daily at approximately 12 hour intervals. (Some dairies do milk 3 times a day to maximize production, but such a regimen would require a very concentrated diet for the cow.)

The calves are not fed by amount of time spent nursing, they are fed 2 quarts at each feeding (very small calves, like the 25 lb twin I'm feeding now, only need 3 pints per feeding) I milk the cow and immediately pour the milk into bottles and feed the calves -- this cow gives over 7 gallons daily, so by milking her I can ensure that all 7 calves get their fair share.

The calves are given Calf Starter and hay after they are 4-5 days old and at 8-10 weeks they're weaned and another set of calves is started. Theoretically I could raise 4-5 sets of calves during a lactation, but I settle for 3.

Ann B

> How many times a day does a new
> born calf need to nurse and how
> long each time? How many times a
> day does a 2 month old calf need
> to nurse and how long? I am
> thinking of purchasing a milk cow.
> By that I mean a cow used as a wet
> nurse for calves with no mother to
> nurse from. How often does a
> "milk cow" need to nurse
> to maintain a good milk supply?

[email protected]

>Idealy a calf will nurse at least 2x a day 3x is better and left with the cow is the best. Remember that fewer feeding will cause greater consumption in a shorter period of time and may cause calf to scour, smaller but more frequent feedings is better for the claf in overall development, but is not alway the most feasable do to labor. Also Nurse cows being used to raise multiple calves need good quality mineral suppliments and a complete dairy ration in addition to adequate forage.

[email protected]