milk bag

Help Support CattleToday:

gator

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2 1/2 YR OLD BRAUNVIEH THAT HAS JUST HAD HER FIRST CALF. LOST CALF THREE DAYS LATER DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS SICK OR COYOTES GOT IT. BUT I NEED TO KNOW HER TEATS ARE FAT AND I HAVE NO CALF TO PUT ON HER, WHAT TO DO? IS THERE SOMETHING TO GET THAT WILL DRY HER MILK UP OR DO I LET NATURE RUN ITS COURSE? I AM NEW AT THIS. SHE HAD NO PROBLEM WITH BIRTH.

WORANCH

Reaction score
If you are going to keep her just let her dry up . but if she lost her calf for any reason she needs to grow wheels..

txshowmom

Reaction score
Ask your vet. There is a shot (the name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember the name) you can give her that will help her dry up.

fit2btied

Reaction score
We lost a calf this winter and asked the vet about a shot to dry the cow up. He said the shot he could give us was a massive dose of steroids and wouldn't recommend it unless her udder was massive in size. We let her dry naturally with no problems.

btfakralc

Reaction score
i had a cow that lost a hiefer calf, she dried up fine and breed right back. she had a bull the follwing year and there were no problems. the second year she had another hiefer and this time i was watching her closer, she wouldn't allow the calf to nurse her swollen udders, we lost that calf too. dump her

Latest posts