milk angus vs hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
1977 animal science research report regarding range land angus and hereford calves it found...
Hereford calves required 6 lbs of milk per 1 lb of gain
Angus calves required 25% more milk, 8 lbs of milk to gain 1 lb

Make of it what you will.

I'd be interested in the details of the study, just for curiosity's sake. Just wondering how they measured the milk intake, how many calves/bloodlines were included, things like that.

Herefords: Doing more with less. Always found (as we have had other breeds) Herefords gain more weight with less feed, milk, grass, whatever else you throw to them making then cost efficient.

MRRherefords":djnv54ii said:
Herefords: Doing more with less. Always found (as we have had other breeds) Herefords gain more weight with less feed, milk, grass, whatever else you throw to them making then cost efficient.
I would like to see bull feed test to back that up...and not from 1970.

sim.-ang.king":3o8pgi7b said:
MRRherefords":3o8pgi7b said:
Look up green springs test data or snyders(don't know if they still publish) or midland.There are some people out there selecting for feed efficiency in angus but as a breed they are about the worst at feed conversion.

sim.-ang.king":1ove8xb6 said:
MRRherefords":1ove8xb6 said:

You don't need to, a Hereford bull can't compete with a Angus bull, on feed efficiency at any of the university bull tests. UGA has two bull test sales a year, one in the spring and one in the fall, and UF has one in the winter. They always blame the lack of feed efficiency on Herefords latter maturing same as Brahman.
Makes me wonder why a commercial cattlemen would want to use Brahman or Hereford. And then on the other hand, a Hereford or Brahman crossbred cow is excellent here in the south. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

True Grit Farms":3njuquf4 said:
sim.-ang.king":3njuquf4 said:
MRRherefords":3njuquf4 said:

You don't need to, a Hereford bull can't compete with a Angus bull, on feed efficiency at any of the university bull tests. UGA has two bull test sales a year, one in the spring and one in the fall, and UF has one in the winter. They always blame the lack of feed efficiency on Herefords latter maturing same as Brahman.
Makes me wonder why a commercial cattlemen would want to use Brahman or Hereford. And then on the other hand, a Hereford or Brahman crossbred cow is excellent here in the south. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

I watch the feed efficiency tests around here both commercial, university and private. When it comes to Angus and Herefords it depends on the bloodlines and individual. I find the same when buying a bull. You need to know the herd and see the cow they are out of. Many of the Angus today are not feed efficient and the same goes for many Herefords. And many Herefords are late developers. We bought some L1 heifers this spring that are as big as any of the Angus we have of the same age. They are all easy fleshers. They come from a herd where selection for efficiency has been part of the critiera for several years. The half brother to the yearling Angus bull I retained was the top performer at Green Springs. I feel either breed can compete with any other breed if you watch what you select for. In a lot of the area I was raised in straight Angus cows overall didn't do as well as Herefords. But if you selected the right bloodlines from the right breeder they would. Again the environment plays a major role in what performs well in a herd.

cow pollinater":265x2ldg said:
sim.-ang.king":265x2ldg said:
MRRherefords":265x2ldg said:
Look up green springs test data or snyders(don't know if they still publish) or midland.There are some people out there selecting for feed efficiency in angus but as a breed they are about the worst at feed conversion.
3 Herefords is large testing group, compared to the 40+ Angus, and 30 some of other breeds.
Not a very good indicator.

4 of the 5 Sim-Ang did better did better than 2 of the 3 Hereford at green springs.

Going from memory, it was a large sampling 300 hereford calves 1,000 angus.
I was surprised on a couple of levels.
My first thought was Angus cows produce more milk because their calves need more milk.
2nd thought was IF done using bottle calves gain would have been significantly higher for both breeds vs range calves.
3rd a cow producing lower volume high nutrient milk is better than a high volume low nutrient milk ie holstein or too
heavy a milking angus.
4th unbiased research and not influenced by either breed association or group of breeders.

MRRherefords":1wbcn824 said:

Funny how popular Hereford feeders get when corn prices shoot through the roof.

I know a father and son who ran 300-400 cows for many years and kept very good records for over 20 years. They had base herds of Herefords (Harland Brothers breeding) and Angus and used many breeds of bulls on them and kept a few of the females resulting from the crosses. He said that for every year but two the Hereford cows weaned more per cow calf weight than the angus or any of the crosses. They used very good Herefords.

Latest posts