Milk: $1.37 a gallon

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":z634sct7 said:
Bottled water $1.50 - $6 gallon
Makes me sick when I think how much work by both the cow and farmer goes into producing milk.
It's a pretty crazy deal. How does that work? Do dairys get a subsidy so America gets cheap milk?

I have paid from 7-8 a gallon for ten years but buy from dairy so I know what I am getting. If the company sells part for butter and other for products like whey sport drinks they divide up your milk into many parts. Real butter right now is selling for 5 a lb.

By the way schools have gone to low fat even knowing our children's brains are 75 percent fat. Think how much they make. The pull off for cottage cheese cream yogurt butter etc and make a killing.

Kingfisher":2ygk54ek said:
Son of Butch":2ygk54ek said:
Makes me sick when I think how much work by both the cow and farmer goes into producing milk.
It's a pretty crazy deal. How does that work? Do dairys get a subsidy so America gets cheap milk?

Based on the dairies here going out of business, I think the answer to that is - no. At least not enough to make up the gap.

Highpoint":3o14yyxg said:
By the way schools have gone to low fat even knowing our children's brains are 75 percent fat. Think how much they make. The pull off for cottage cheese cream yogurt butter etc and make a killing.
Think my daughters may be higher then that....

Kingfisher":3ex1cvc5 said:
Son of Butch":3ex1cvc5 said:
We have not got ( https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/milc_09.pdf ) MILC payments for quite awhile, or the boss hasn't been sharing his with me! I do not even think there is a program anymore, no 100% sure. Mail box milk price was $16 this check. I have cows in with my boss', I pay to raise my heifers is only expense. I get 50% of my milk back instead of getting a higher wage. Keeps me in check with current pricing and some more real life farming. But let me tell you it ain't fun milking cows right now with current price!

The sad thing, here the farmers are not getting any "gov't" subsidy and they are going out of business because they are tired of working 24/7 for enough to barely pay bills, let alone service any debt or get ahead. Mailbox price here is around 18.00, it depends on the butterfat and the SCC. Hauling is high for the smaller farmer, the milk companies do not want to make all the stops and the larger farms get an extra incentive if they ship at least a 1/2 tankerload; like about 25,000 lbs every other day. For comparison, many of my 80 cow herds are averaging say 60 lbs milk per day. So that is a shipment of say 9600 +/- lbs every other day. So these farms basically have to be milking 175 and more cows and be averaging over 72 lbs per cow per day. I think the latest incentive is $.20 per 100 lbs. if they are shipping over 25,000. Maybe it's more, but regardless, even at $.20/100 that's an extra $50 per pickup every other day; times 15 pickups, that's an extra $750 just for the volume. And I think it is $.40/100 lbs but I just can't remember.

BUT WAIT, we have a surplus of milk so why are we encouraging these farms to get bigger????? Because they want fewer, BIGGER, farms, and more control over them because then it is harder for the farmer to just up and go to another milk company because there is a surplus.... and then it is harder for the farmer to just quit because he is in debt and the bankers do alot of controlling the situation....
There's alot more involved too, milk companies pay for a lower Somatic Cell count as that makes the milk have a longer shelf life. And I am all for that; have a couple farms that regularly ship milk with scc of less than 100,000. There're farms that ship butterfat over 4.0% all the time, and they gat paid for the butterfat too, but when the milk companies take all that out to make the STANDARD 3.25% of "whole milk" , they are making alot off the farmers milk. Used to be whole milk was 3.5% but not now. And they push this "low fat" crap so much that people don't like the taste of true whole milk because they are accustomed to thin watery colored water.

I had people begging me for milk from my jersey last year that I hand milked. $5.00 per half gallon and they were thrilled to make a "contribution" since we are in a state that you cannot legally sell raw milk. Right now I get my milk from a farm where I have a cow in the milking herd, but once my others calve, I will be doing some milking and using them as nurse cows also. I hope to go to cow/herd shares after I retire so that they will pay for their feed and give me a little for my time. We'll see.

75% of my dairy farmers that I test for, are over 50, most in the 60 yr old range and over half have no one to take over the farm .... I always wanted my own small dairy; today I am glad I don't have it because I would not be able to survive even with no debt load.

bottled water is higher than milk, i dont know about yall but ill never buy bottled water its just crazy to me. ive got a good well and ive got empty bottles i can fill up with good water for free and i know where it came from too

Based on 60 lbs milk per day per cow at $16/cwt that's $10/day, never mind they aren't productive 100% of the time.. I don't see how anyone can sharpen a pencil sharp enough to stay alive.
Makes beef look good, and that's pretty bad!

I am so serious about raw milk and would pay whatever I had too to get it. I used it to feed my daughter feeding tube seven weeks and my husband twelve weeks with meal replacement mix from company can't mention online. Daughter recovered six years ago no treatment and husband is almost there. Daughter stage 4 throat cancer with no chemo or radiation and husband heart and lung damage and he hasn't needed oxygen in two years.

I know people who have been lied too and know pasteurized milk is more dangerous than raw and some of the best research is on Weston Price Foundation website that and dr Stephanie Seneff senior professor MIT. Dr Ben Carson was also a major help as we used the products he recommended which is now illegal for me to mention online and God who directed me step by step through years of recovery.

i will write a book as I cannot put online what is the truth but hope all dairy farmers know one day their hard work is very greatly appreciated by many.

I just paid $6.90 for an imperial gallon of milk, which is larger than a USA gallon.
Still pricey.. I prefer to have my own cow milking, that way I know what the health status is of the milk I am drinking. there is definitely a difference between good clean healthy cows- raw milk and pasteurized milk. Years ago we had our milk cow die from bloat, we figured from hardware disease. Before I acquired a new cow, one of the kids teeth began to turn an opaque color. Calcium supplements and pasteurized milk never helped either.
Two weeks after acquiring a new milk cow, the whole family noticed the effected child's teeth had began to return to a healthy white color.
When the milk is pasteurized all the good enzymes that help you digest the milk are killed off, and as calcium also tends to be attracted to the fat molecule, skimming the cream reduces the calcium values.
I do understand why the milk is pasteurized, as I have worked on some dairy farms that are totally filthy
and they had a bad mastitis issue. I personally would not have fed the milk on those farms to my dog, let alone my family.
Other farms were so clean and they were diligent about health of their animals, most of the time there would have been little problem drinking the milk raw.
The main thing is have healthy animals and cleanliness when using unpasteurized milk, and keeping a closed herd helps too, but sometimes that isn't workable, so one had to be careful.
also, not everything is killed by pasteurizing it, there are stories that Crohns disease may come from cattle that are affected by Johnes disease, and that pasteurizing wont kill it...

farmerjan":1jqkarer said:
I had people begging me for milk from my jersey last year that I hand milked. $5.00 per half gallon and they were thrilled to make a "contribution" since we are in a state that you cannot legally sell raw milk. Right now I get my milk from a farm where I have a cow in the milking herd, but once my others calve, I will be doing some milking and using them as nurse cows also. I hope to go to cow/herd shares after I retire so that they will pay for their feed and give me a little for my time. We'll see.

Our state department of agriculture has a SWAT team that raids people for doing that. Its unbelievable. Someone mentioned control. IMO, its absurd that we live in a so called free country where men can identify as women and vice versa yet we do not have the freedom to make an educated decision on where we buy our milk and for it to be illegal to purchase unadulterated milk or other agricultural products for that matter. Sometimes I feel like I have a seat on the crazy train.

Maybe the solution to all this is we need to legalize recreational milk.

Well said Jo, we live in a country where one can marry another of the same sex,have the gov pay for a sex change if in the military,grow your own pot in California , and it is unlawful to buy a large soda in nyc. But raw milk, home raised beef and pork are regulated! Oh yea and I forgot about praying at public schools

walmart is opening up a super site here.

they will ONLY take full tanker loads.

Latest posts