Military retirees over 65

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From the Congressional Budget Office

TRICARE For Life (TFL) was introduced at the beginning
of fiscal year 2002 as a supplement to Medicare for
military retirees and their family members over age 65.
The wraparound program pays nearly all of its users'
remaining medical costs and carries few out-of-pocket
fees. Because the Department of Defense (DoD) is a passive
payer in the program—it neither manages care nor
provides incentives for cost-conscious use of services—it
has virtually no means to control the program's costs.
This option would help reduce the costs of TFL as well as
for Medicare by introducing small copayments for services
and by increasing copayments for prescription drugs
to match those commonly charged by civilian plans.
Because the program is a wraparound benefit, lawmakers
or DoD would need to establish new rules to ensure that
users paid minimum out-of-pocket charges—for example,
$20 for an office visit or $100 for the first day of a
hospital stay—before coverage would begin.
Introducing such charges would reduce the federal spending
devoted to TFL (including Medicare savings) by
about $1 billion in 2008, by $6.3 billion over the next
five years, and by $16 billion between 2008 and 2017.
Much of those savings would come from reduced
demand for medical services rather than from a transfer
of spending from the government to military retirees and
their families.
Introducing copayments into TFL would increase beneficiaries'
awareness of the cost of health care and promote a
concomitant restraint in the use of medical services.
Research has generally shown that introducing modest
cost sharing can substantially reduce medical expenditures
without causing measurable increases in adverse
health outcomes.
Among its disadvantages, this option could discourage
some patients (particularly low-income patients) from
seeking medical care and thus negatively affect their
health. Beneficiaries who require treatment for chronic
conditions, such as hypertension, might forgo purchasing
necessary drugs. Some recent research indicates that rapid
increases in copayments can lead to significant reductions
in beneficiaries' use of prescription medicines.

I never have understood why military retirees feel that the government should pay 100% of all their expenses after retirement. And the retirement generally comes at around 40 years old. Most with some disability payments attached.

It's a job, fer crying out loud. They were not sentenced to be in the military service. It's a choice we all make....... :???:

Jim62":1csasemq said:
I never have understood why military retirees feel that the government should pay 100% of all their expenses after retirement. And the retirement generally comes at around 40 years old. Most with some disability payments attached.

It's a job, fer crying out loud. They were not sentenced to be in the military service. It's a choice we all make....... :???:

It's the long term pay for working for substandard wages for 20-30 years, 24/7/365
It's also part of the contract that the government made with the "employees"

Most people that stick around long enough to retire didn;t look at it as "just a job"

Jim62":2i571cwh said:

Not to disagree with you Jim but a lot of the retired over 65 were drafted and had to leave homes and family's and put their life on the line. It was not their choice to be drafted although it was their choice to stay in.

And I for one consider it a honor to have these men to serve our country,and can we really put a dollar amount on the risk they took to serve our country?

Cal

Calman":2bt10p0l said:
Jim62":2bt10p0l said:

Not to disagree with you Jim but a lot of the retired over 65 were drafted and had to leave homes and family's and put their life on the line. It was not their choice to be drafted although it was their choice to stay in.

And I for one consider it a honor to have these men to serve our country,and can we really put a dollar amount on the risk they took to serve our country?

Cal
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

When I left the my duty zone by air for Saigon, South Viet Nam, there were eight brave soldiers in body bags at my feet. Any and all solders that fought on foreign soil representing the United States of America deserves any and all benefits available to them. JMHO
Tom.

Jim62":2x7juyd5 said:
But, how about all those who never fought representing the United States, foreign soil or otherwise?
They were to lucky ones, an insurance policy that will fight when called. "Those also serve who only stand and wait." (John Milton)

dun":24v6eynp said:
Jim62":24v6eynp said:
But, how about all those who never fought representing the United States, foreign soil or otherwise?
They were to lucky ones, an insurance policy that will fight when called. "Those also serve who only stand and wait." (John Milton)

Another view that I take is that we all have been fortunate to have enjoyed freedom and safety when those individuals stand ready to serve even if they are not called upon to defend us. It's kinda like a robber or thief that will pick and choose their victims based upon the risks they take when they carry out their evil actions.

You would not want to rob or attack a home or town that stands ready to counter attack and destroy you with defensive fire-power would you???????

I personally feel a trememdous debt of gratitude to those that never fired an offensive or defensive shot and never were forced to leave the homeland but just stood by ready and willing to defend me and my family in the midnight hour. But then again, I was raised like that within a family of military volunteers. Even during times of heavy draft callings; my family joined the effort to protect the interests of this great nation we live in. As time has gone on I have witnessed a great departure from the feelings that I have and will allow them to have their own opinions. I just can't get the mental pictures of Pearl Harbor, the Phillipines, Europe, etc., during WWII; the Holocaust, the attacks on the World Trade Center, etc., etc., out of my mind when I think of freedom and the efforts to protect it.

Veterans......... drafted or volunteers........ I salute and honor you. Thanks for your sacrifice whether it was your personal time, life or limb, etc. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: You will always be in my hearts and prayers.

Just my two cents........

Jim62":3j9hwuke said:
When a soldier goes to combat it takes about three more to support them.Which makes everyone in the military with an important position.We can't just praise our combat veterans alone,we also have the ones that remained behind to support him.
I am a combat veteran (two viet nam tours) and I am certainly glad for the ones that stayed behind and supplied me with what I needed.
So the way I look at it it don't matter your job it takes all to make the military function properly.

Cal