Military questions

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":8agtr51u said:
I'm my worst enemy when it comes to disability and people playing to system. I have lots of pictures of people parking in the disabled parking spots and getting out of their vehicles and walking away like it's no big deal. Just a bit of advice some people get really mad when you take their picture.

Because of this? https://www.csicop.org/sb/show/soul_the ... hotography
:lol:

True Grit Farms":30nv0bm1 said:
I'm my worst enemy when it comes to disability and people playing to system. I have lots of pictures of people parking in the disabled parking spots and getting out of their vehicles and walking away like it's no big deal. Just a bit of advice some people get really mad when you take their picture.
There are disabilities that are visual to the naked eye. It doesn;t just mean they have something that can;t allow them to walk. I can walk a fair distance as long as I walk at a slow shuffle speed but becuase of heart failure I'm considered disable. I'm sure there are people that see me that think there isnt anything wrong since I'm not missing a leg or blind. What burns me are the people that get out of the military and automatically get 10% disability, most of the army guys around here draw it because of their feet. But I've yet to see it slow them down from doing anything they want including jogging.

Reading this reminds me of some of the stories my grandson has. He is a P.I. and works for a firm that investigates mostly for insurance companies. Out of Seattle Wa. Told me of a guy working for the boeing plant who was drawing quite a sum of dollars every week and was trying to get a large settlement. Of course he has to get everything on tape. This guy came out of his house on two crutches going to the Dr. office. Came out of the office and went to an RV storage and got in his motor home hooked up to a trailer with two 4 wheelers on it. Grandson followed him down in Oregon to a campground.So my grandson rented a 4wheeler and went trail riding with him and his wife. All the while filming everything. Needless to say the fellers weekly checks stopped and no settlement.

My grandfather was in WWII and the Korean War. He went to the VA hospital because he thought he had a heart attack. He was laying in a bed at the hospital when he had his second heart attack. They did not have any machines hooked to him. The nurse and doctor walked out... he died... they did not find out until later when they came in to check on him.

Unfortunately, just as a % of the general population will abuse a program, there's a % of the veteran population that will do the same, and the politicians and VA has made it pretty easy to do. Agent Orange and PTSD are probably abused just as much if not more so than SS disability is in the civilian world. What the politicians haven't contributed towards the abuse, the lawyers have. What the lawyers have left undone, the VA itself has finished up.
(I do firmly believe there are qualifying symptoms and mental trauma that do and should be covered regarding PTSD, but not to the extent we are seeing.)
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ptsd ... story.html

Agent Orange?
You don't have to have been around it, store it, spray it, fly, drive or walk thru it..just have served during a certain time.
All you have to have is fall under the timeline of the Vietnam War Era and have any of the qualifying illnesses or
disorders and they automatically assume it was a result of Agent Orange.
I have at least 3 of the following myself, as do many many thousands of Vietnam era veterans.
So do many tjousands of civilians of the same age group, but the VA has a policy of 'presumption. If you are a veteran of that era, and you have one of the diseases or syndromes, it is simply judged to have been caused by Agent Orange, whether you served in Country or not in many cases.
ivors may be eligible for benefits for these diseases.

AL Amyloidosis
A rare disease caused when an abnormal protein, amyloid, enters tissues or organs

Chronic B-cell Leukemias
A type of cancer which affects white blood cells

Chloracne (or similar acneform disease)
A skin condition that occurs soon after exposure to chemicals and looks like common forms of acne seen in teenagers. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.

Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
A disease characterized by high blood sugar levels resulting from the body's inability to respond properly to the hormone insulin

Hodgkin's Disease
A malignant lymphoma (cancer) characterized by progressive enlargement of the lymph nodes, liver, and spleen, and by progressive anemia

Ischemic Heart Disease
A disease characterized by a reduced supply of blood to the heart, that leads to chest pain

Multiple Myeloma
A cancer of plasma cells, a type of white blood cell in bone marrow

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
A group of cancers that affect the lymph glands and other lymphatic tissue

Parkinson's Disease
A progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects muscle movement

Peripheral Neuropathy, Early-Onset
A nervous system condition that causes numbness, tingling, and motor weakness. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of herbicide exposure.

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
A disorder characterized by liver dysfunction and by thinning and blistering of the skin in sun-exposed areas. Under VA's rating regulations, it must be at least 10 percent disabling within one year of exposure to herbicides.

Prostate Cancer
Cancer of the prostate; one of the most common cancers among men

Respiratory Cancers (includes lung cancer)
Cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus

Soft Tissue Sarcomas (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma, or mesothelioma)
A group of different types of cancers in body tissues such as muscle, fat, blood and lymph vessels, and connective tissues

And, there are more, evaluated on a case by case basis and that original 'presumptive' list is probably going to expand this year or the next and may include high blood pressure/hypertension.
https://www.propublica.org/article/long ... va-in-2017

Disclaimer: Ground pounder isn;t a derogatory term, just used to separate them from airdales and sailors.
The agent orange exposure may work like that for ground pounders but for sailors there are specific days and areas that you had to be there in order to qualify. The river rats pretty much qualify similar to the ground pounders.
Generally I agree that some military abuse the system. But a lot depends on your specific VA office that you are dealing with. Friend of mine died from cancer of the esophogus and the VA said he didn;t have the right kind of cancer for it to be caused by agent orange. 3 others of us were exposed at the same time and place. All 3 of us have pretty much the exact same heart issues. My BIL was a river rat and has the same deal. 3 of us also have the weird deal that the roots of our teeth develop holes (not decay). That was discovered only a couple of years ago to be another of the side affects. Another friend of mine was a ground pounder and his intestines died, he now has a straight tube from his throat to he butt hole. The place where he was it was standard practice to take empty agent orange barrels, rinse them out and punch holes in the bottom for a shower. I don;t think they will ever new the full extent of what that crap caused.

All of the bases away from the big towns were sprayed all around to provide a field of fire. Yes barrels were used as showers. If they were painted black the water would be hot by the end of the day

Latest posts