Might be time to sell a few off.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ojp6

Reaction score
5 weight steers crossed the 2.00 a lb mark in some sales in South Dakota the last couple of days. Things are looking good in Tennessee too. Futures up over 10 dollars in three days. I think I'm gonna get rid of some calves I bought 40 days ago that I bought as ugly bulls and cut and vaccinated and shined up a little. Could hold them for a while longer and put some weight on them but I think I'm gonna take the profit while it's sitting in front of me.

I heard today on Rural Radio that the futures were down. Also, local sale barn was selling cattle cheap this week. I don't think I would be selling at the moment. Perhaps buying if I had enough land.

kenny thomas":c0v401lo said:
Can anyone tell new why the futures are up over $10?

No. We have been trying to figure out if they are gonna take some of it back off next week or if we should hold on to our big cattle for a week and see what happens. A lot of the cattle I bought Tuesday would advance .15 run right back through the sale. I would say it will be pretty hard to buy anything reasonable at the sale tomorrow.

kilroy60":28j3mzy4 said:
I heard today on Rural Radio that the futures were down. Also, local sale barn was selling cattle cheap this week. I don't think I would be selling at the moment. Perhaps buying if I had enough land.

The futures are the highest they have been in a long time, it's probably been close to a year since they were this high. Sale barn prices have been as much as 20 cents higher than the sale barn last week where I have been this week.

I can not see the reason for them getting so much higher this week. Last Fridays cattle on feed report should have made the price much lower.

A couple guys I know that feed a lot of cattle in some feedyards out west said it wasn't as bad as they first thought. They said total cattle on feed are not much higher than last year like they were expected to be. We will see how many calves hit the market this fall though, we could be in for another cheap fall if numbers are still rising.

In other news, fat cattle were bringing over 1.40 in the sale barn today. A lot of those same cattle were bought from October to November for around 1.00. The guys feeding cattle are making really good money on those, some might make 500 a head.

Latest posts