Mig Welder

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am afraid my Lincoln mig welder is on its way out and I need a welder for my shop that can weld a 3/8 piece of steel and it can use gas too. I am not the worlds greatest welder so I need something with very good control of wire speed as my Lincoln was not the easiest to control the wire speed. Do yall have any suggestions that you think can fit the bill ?

We have a millermatic 250 older version of the 251(251 has digital controls) it will weld a half inch in one pass it works great as it is the first mig we have bought, i was used to a hobart 200amp gas stick that was built in the 60's or a buzz box i love my miller and i learned to mig with it.

I have a Millermatic 175 and love it. It makes a dabber into a passible welder, as far as I'm concerned. The 175 is a little light for 3/8" steel but you can always make two passes. I weld anything I need to weld - just make multiple passes on the thick stuff. Miller and Hobart are the same now as Miller bought Hobart a few years back.

One more thing, the 175 will not take the larger size rolls of wire. 11 pounders are as big as you can fit into the machine.

I belive we paid $1500 or so a few years ago cant really remember but when we were pricing them for a 250 amp welder the price really wasnt much didfrence between hobart,miller and lincoln

Thanks yall... I am doing research now and going to the miller dealer near me this week. Price seems right on target.

SkyHigh, I feel like I can relate to you. I bought a Millermatic 252 last year and it cost me about 2 grand. I can weld anything from paper thin to
inch thick. I would recommend a Millermatic 252 to anyone who can afford it.

ohiosteve":1y28f8w2 said:
SkyHigh, I feel like I can relate to you. I bought a Millermatic 252 last year and it cost me about 2 grand. I can weld anything from paper thin to
inch thick. I would recommend a Millermatic 252 to anyone who can afford it.

Thanks buddy yea I am gonna go to the dealer and see what they have that I can test out or look at and will pay close attention to the ones yall have mentioned. 2 grand completely doable.

The millermatic 212 would work for what you want and should be $600 or so cheaper than the 252. It will weld 3/8" in a single pass no problem.

I have a 211 miller works great can be operated on 120 or 230 v will weld 3/8 on a single pass. Has a auto set feature that controls the speed of the wire itself. Only drawback of it is the duty cycle vs the 212 although i have never had an issue with that and I weld with it a lot.

I finally made my mind up and this is what i got
ResizedImage_1362602972153_zps620411f4.jpg

Latest posts