Midland Bull Test

Help Support CattleToday:

I was there via the internet. Now that's a bunch of bulls.
The Murray Greys looked very good to me and sold for extremely reasonable prices.

cmf1":262nv8k2 said:
The Murray Greys looked very good to me and sold for extremely reasonable prices.
We were there...the Murray Greys were all fairly nice and went for a steal...they all had really good genetics and a couple were put together exceptionally well. I didn't register to buy as I'm not needing a bull til next year but had I, I would have brought one home...there was a lot 1274 from H Diamond Cattle that was just REALLY nice. People are in a bit of an uproar over GeneStar changing their scoring system. Even though its supposed to be more accurate you can't convert the older GeneStar "stars"... I guess the only solution is to retest current animals previously tested by the original "star" system.

Wisteria Farms":1np7eyf6 said:
cmf1":1np7eyf6 said:
We were there...the Murray Greys were all fairly nice and went for a steal...they all had really good genetics and a couple were put together exceptionally well. I didn't register to buy as I'm not needing a bull til next year but had I, I would have brought one home...there was a lot 1274 from H Diamond Cattle that was just REALLY nice. People are in a bit of an uproar over GeneStar changing their scoring system. Even though its supposed to be more accurate you can't convert the older GeneStar "stars"... I guess the only solution is to retest current animals previously tested by the original "star" system.

That's a shame about the prices for MGs. It's not a cheap thing to performance test bulls.

Will GeneStar offer a discount for the re-test? Doesn't seem quite fair to charge full price when the old scoring system was apparently faulty.

Yes Pfizer Animal Genetics is offering a steep discount to upgrade gene results previously tested under the star system. I forgot how much it was but I think about a 65% discount. It was good for a limited amount of time. The only downside I can see with the new system is that individual alleles will not be know, so a producer cannot target breed for a certain allele of a gene.

I searched their site for a discount and couldn't find anything...I have some to test and a couple I'd like to retest so I just ordered new kits. Hopefully they'll include discount info with the kits.

I either got my notification by e-mail or mail. Can't remember. I seem to have a lot of trouble with Pfizer's website. A lot more than the old Bovigen website.

I ended up buying an MG and am pretty excited about it. I have been waxing over the MG's for a while now and am finally taking a plunge in.
I posted him on the Breeds Board under "Opinions Please on this Bull".
Any input would be appreciated cus even though he's mine it's a little bit of a leap for me.

cmf1":2hyied8w said:
I ended up buying an MG and am pretty excited about it. I have been waxing over the MG's for a while now and am finally taking a plunge in.
I posted him on the Breeds Board under "Opinions Please on this Bull".
Any input would be appreciated cus even though he's mine it's a little bit of a leap for me.
HEY!!!! Which one did you buy? My bull's brother was sold there...maybe you got him!!! My bulls brother's were 1277 and 1278 but it was 1278 that was EXCEPTIONAL!! (as far as his numbers). It doesn't matter WHICH one you bought...you made a GREAT decision!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you have to keep us posted! When do you get him? p.s. my bulls sire is Lindsay Elect and his dam is HD Ritzy Lady.

Nevermind...I went back and looked...
You got 1284...good job! He's from Eagle Rock Murray Greys (not related to my bull) but from good, good people. I'm so happy for you! If there's anything I can do to put you in touch with some PB MG girls let me know. (I don't have any for sale right now) but am happy to lend a hand when you're ready.
Good luck!

Thanks Wisteria,
I have been enamored with the MG's by every owner that I've talked with over the last 2 1/2 years. I've got all sorts of reservations about bringing a northern bull way down yonder and the diet change (bahaia vs ?), and the black hide, etc.. It's all an adventure for me. But I'm thinking he's young enough to adapt and do well.
What held me up was the odd orginization support on the breed. Made me think the cattle might be suspect. The owners however, alot with nothing to sell to me, to a person, felt that they owned and worked the best breed of cattle around. Old hands to newbies and everything in between.
True or not, I figure it's worth a shot.

cmf1":3tjrzzvr said:
Thanks Wisteria,
I have been enamored with the MG's by every owner that I've talked with over the last 2 1/2 years. I've got all sorts of reservations about bringing a northern bull way down yonder and the diet change (bahaia vs ?), and the black hide, etc.. It's all an adventure for me. But I'm thinking he's young enough to adapt and do well.
What held me up was the odd orginization support on the breed. Made me think the cattle might be suspect. The owners however, alot with nothing to sell to me, to a person, felt that they owned and worked the best breed of cattle around. Old hands to newbies and everything in between.
True or not, I figure it's worth a shot.

CMF1...I can assure you, the "odd organization support" of the breed is not due to the cattle by any means...Once you accept that there are a couple people that don't get along (and just avoid them), then you'll find some really nice, "down to earth" people who will do anything for you to help you succeed. The Old Hands help the newbies and every get-together is like a family reunion... you come away feeling really good about what you're doing. You've taken a great step. The breed really deserves more people looking at them...

What are your temps like down there right now? At Midland it was in the 50's during the day...so its not like taking him from blizzard conditions to the tropics. Does he have a place with some shade? A tree/loafing shed/etc.? I think he'll be just fine...of course his coat won't be AS heat reflective as the silver one's are but still...you'll see, he's not black and his pigment is dark but not black. My bull is the same color...here in Illinois it can get to 96-100 degrees in the summer and on those days he just lays under a tree...doesn't have any problem...he'll be fine...

Wisteria Farms

I found my sheet on the Pfizer MVP upgrade pricing for animals previously tested. 1-24 animals was $25 each, 25-249 was $20 each. Offer was good until 6/1/09.

Latest posts