Midland Bull Test

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
http://www.midlandbulltest.com/wp-conte ... pdated.pdf

The bull calf we own in partnership with Upchurch Angus has done pretty good on the test, needless to say I am tickled. I haven't seen the calf since he was 3 months old but when we delivered him to Jason he was the best calf we have ever had on our place at that age and we have had some nice ones over the years. I sure wish I could go to the sale and see him. Our bull is in group 1 Angus lot# 239

Gizmom

Bought two more Regard sons last weekend. I'm pretty impressed by them. Glad you're getting along with yours. Did you use anymore of him?

Jake

Not yet but would like to. He was a stud at birth and just kept getting better. Look forward to seeing his video. What was the dam side of the two you purchased?

TG

The boss hates to fly!

Gizmom

gizmom":1b46y7mx said:
Jake

Not yet but would like to. He was a stud at birth and just kept getting better. Look forward to seeing his video. What was the dam side of the two you purchased?

TG

The boss hates to fly!

Gizmom

She's a full sister to 4136

Nice bull. Hope he sells well. The good Angus have been hot around here

I always like to look at what sells in different places. Hope the sale goes well but most of these bulls pass where I live. Went to a sale Wednesday (Simmental) where 71 bulls avg $6093, vast majority over 1480 lbs, mostly January and First half of February born. A couple just under 1700 lbs. 2 passed and there were a handful in the 1300-1400 lb range that sold towards the bottom end. The floor price was $3500 Canadian but only 3-4 went that low. Going again this afternoon to another sale expect it to be similar. And yes there were a few go to breeders but most go to repeat customers who run commercial cows. Not saying big is the way to go just an observation. Personally I want a yearling to be in the 1400 lb range this time of year but they are getting bigger every year.

I dont want a 1700 pound yearling. I understand the trend is going bigger but in my opinion it is a bad trend. Like everything you can reach a point that you get to big. When you order a ribeye steak do you want them to bring you one that is cut 1" thick or 1/4" thick? It really is that simple. Retailers sell meat by the pound when you gets cuts to big they just cut them thinner. I prefer a thick steak and feel the majority of steak eaters do as well. I want to produce cattle that will get a premium in the feed lot. I think the cattle that are to small or to large get discounted. I refuse to chase trends I just want to breed good functional cattle that work in our part of the country.

Gizmom

Latest posts