Mid size vs full size gator

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
Decided on buying a new gator. Went back and forth on some different brands but I'm very happy with my dealer support and jd is running 0% for 48 months right now. Trying to decide between a 590m and a 835m. The price difference is about 5500. Want to go with the 590 to save a little money but hoping I don't regret going with the full size 835. Anybody bought a 590 and be displeased?

Do you need a claw hammer or a sledge hammer? You are comparing two different tools for two different jobs.

Looks like a size difference. Do have tight spots you have to fit?

The larger one has more towing and cargo capacity. How much will you tow or put in the bed?

On motor size, if you have hills, especially if you want to tow or carry loads, get the biggest motor you can swing.

Every one wants to spend less but rarely do you get more for less dollars.

What about other brands? Honda Pioneer is a good one
I'm a Deere guy, not to the point of being completely against anything else as I had originally decided on a mule, but the 0% that Deere is offering is hard to beat in my books. Having the option to stay cash heavy, or invest that same money in the market assuming an 8% gain you've paid for the machine and got a 32%return on your buck. That's all a bit of a gamble, but hey we're farmers we gamble everyday right?

I struggled with the same problem last year. I wound up with a 835E. It was a leftover 2019 model without the fancy wheels and no power steering. I had them put a roof on and I think it was $13,500 and still used the 0 for 48 months option. I've been really happy with it so far. I thought about a mule but it's really just easier to go to my Deere dealer for parts and Kawasaki usually doesn't offer a 0 internet option but the prices of the Mules are about the same.

I'd go with a Ronda the Honda. Pioneers you can flip the seat to a bed. They are really quite super nice. They are number one right now. Can't beat a Honda unless you drive a Ford. 😆😉🤡 just playing. 😁

That wasn't your question...

Depending on what you wanting to do with it.

Bigger the better. 🤦🏽‍♀️ You can pile all the junk, wife/girlfriend boyfriends/husbands, kids, grandchildren, great children, and the dog on there. ☺ If you got a cow that things it's a dog throw it on there too and the 30 pack. Bahahahahaha.

Do some research on the pioneers I don't think you would be disappointed.

Don't know anything about the JDs but we started out looking at smaller ones. Didn't like the smaller Mule at all, if we had of went with a mule it would have been a bigger one they were pretty nice machines. We settled on the biggest engine Polaris. Very glad we went with a bigger one. It still has plenty of maneuverability and will haul or tow a pretty good load. I liked the Can Ams too but not as close to dealer for them. Ive always liked Honda's but didn't have as much load capacity,

I know if i got the smaller one of those two i would regret it and wish i went bigger. If i was going to get the mail with it i 'might' get the smaller, probably not. With that being said, i got a honda pioneer 1000 and it has been great.

I struggled with the same problem last year. I wound up with a 835E. It was a leftover 2019 model without the fancy wheels and no power steering. I had them put a roof on and I think it was $13,500 and still used the 0 for 48 months option. I've been really happy with it so far. I thought about a mule but it's really just easier to go to my Deere dealer for parts and Kawasaki usually doesn't offer a 0 internet option but the prices of the Mules are about the same.
I was all set to go with a 835e. Don't need the power dump or fancy wheels, but was told by numerous people the power steering would be a must. You ever regret not having the power steering?

I was all set to go with a 835e. Don't need the power dump or fancy wheels, but was told by numerous people the power steering would be a must. You ever regret not having the power steering?
I wanted the power steering but it was going to cost $3500 more because they were discounting mine because it was a leftover and every other one in stock had other options that I really didn't need so I opted to save money. So far nobody has complained about how it steers and I use it daily and don't miss what I haven't had. I'd miss the $3500 more but it was only that much because inventory was very limited due to COVID.

Didn't think J.D.. I am looking at the Kawasaki. 700 mule. But the dealer here in N. T.MIGHT get 1 in 2 weeks. I had a bad experience with Polaris in the 90's, so that is out. Plus them and Honda are unavailable also.

My Honda pioneer 1000 has been a good machine. I went with Honda because it does not use a drive belt. And it will do 70 mph when I want to.

I actually prefer a belt. they're smooth, last a long time, and are very cheap to fix when they do break. Can't say the same about whatever electronic gizmo Honda has dreamed up.

I am a big Honda fan, but I don't understand their aversion to CVTs. Their ESP/DCT stuff is way over complicated for the application, and can be very difficult and expensive to repair.

As for the size, if you are wanting something just to run around in, fix fence, check cows, whatever, the smaller one will likely be fine. If you are wanting to tow, load it down heavy, run fast down the road, get the bigger machine.

I actually prefer a belt. they're smooth, last a long time, and are very cheap to fix when they do break. Can't say the same about whatever electronic gizmo Honda has dreamed up.
Wife and I drove every brand and multiple models from each before we bought our side by side. I put off driving the Honda til last as I expected it to be the favorite and had high hopes for it, but after driving it I was less interested in it than any other model. Didn't care for the jerkiness of the trans, and figured when it did go tits up it'd be a huge chunk of change to replace. Seriously doubt it's serviceable and I'm betting a crate job is 3k in parts.

Wife and I drove every brand and multiple models from each before we bought our side by side. I put off driving the Honda til last as I expected it to be the favorite and had high hopes for it, but after driving it I was less interested in it than any other model. Didn't care for the jerkiness of the trans, and figured when it did go tits up it'd be a huge chunk of change to replace. Seriously doubt it's serviceable and I'm betting a crate job is 3k in parts.
What did you guys end up buying?

Latest posts