Micotil

Help Support CattleToday:

Shariah

Reaction score
Hello - was just looking for some advice. My husband is a big believer in the antibiotic Micotil. He dosed one of our calves with it and the cough suddenly got worse and now has bloody stool. Has anybody else experienced this? Any advice?

Fill us in on the time line. How long ago did you give the calf the shot? How long after the shot when the cough got worse? How old is the calf? How long has it been off its mother? I doubt the Micotil had anything to do with the worsening condition.

Shariah":100yd8p6 said:
Hello - was just looking for some advice. My husband is a big believer in the antibiotic Micotil.
Micotil is so yesterday. We did use it for years, but given the potential hazard I can't believe anyone still buys it when Nuflor, Zactran, ect are just as effective. Unless vets are getting a bigger mark up on micotil than before or something.
I won't have the stuff on my place again.

Don't use many antibiotics around here but Micotil has always been my go to med. Never had any problems with it. I haven't changed to anything else because it works and the bottle cost like he// and I plan to use it up before buying anything else regardless of expiration date.

TexasBred":7phsx1yi said:
Micotil has always been my go to med. Never had any problems with it. I haven't changed to anything else because it
works and the bottle cost like he// and I plan to use it up before buying anything else regardless of expiration date.

Understandable T.B. I sure wouldn't throw it out, but...
Micotil, NuFlor, ResFlor Gold and Zactran have all worked for us and all have had the same re-treat rates for us.
Zactran costs more per bottle than the others, but Zactran's lower dosage = lower cost per animal treated, so Zactran
has become our go to for respiratory problems. Baytril has not worked as well for us.
That said, I doubt Micotil had anything to do with original poster's calf condition declining.

The calf already has lung damage from lesions, sudden worsening cough after treatment makes me suspect
Mycoplasma bovis pneumonia and the bad news is nothing works well on that. I'd suggest re-treat with a cheaper
antibiotic to keep the bacteria load down and the calf's own immune system will either fight off the pneumonia to
become a chronic lunger or it will die.

True Grit Farms":27rexoel said:
Micotil can kill you, be careful using this antibiotic.
viewtopic.php?t=9653

Ditto. Be careful! There are so many other options out there, and so many variables that can cause an accidental human stick that I'd personally reach for something else. Ex: Draxxin. :2cents: Personally we haven't used Micotil here for YEARS so I won't be helpful here! Never heard of it causing that kind of reaction though.

Give him a Benadryl. Someone on a cattle site on FB-yes, that FaceBook-THE leading authority on cattle-said they give Benadryl to scouring calves and it works great. Their vet said there was no problem doing it and he didn't know why it worked. Mostly, it sounds like in this situation, there isn't a lot to lose. :2cents:

I personally would never administer Micotil but our vet used it today on one of our cows that had aborted & has a uterine infection (in addition to uterine boluses & Lutalyse). He did say it would get worse (more discharge) before it got better but I seriously doubt that's the case with your calf. If it were me I'd get the calf to the vet, sooner rather than later.

Shariah":2gcsow8z said:
Hello - was just looking for some advice. My husband is a big believer in the antibiotic Micotil. He dosed one of our calves with it and the cough suddenly got worse and now has bloody stool. Has anybody else experienced this? Any advice?

Yes.
Retreat.
(My understanding is BRD can effect the colon. Not a good sign but not fatal in my experience.)
(Make sure your husband is in good humor. Some of the Micotil legends stem from suicide by injection.)

Stocker Steve":3cspzmkx said:
Shariah":3cspzmkx said:
(Make sure your husband is in good humor. Some of the Micotil legends stem from suicide by injection.)
Very true.
We used to use Micotil a lot in the old days as it were.
I partnered with a guy a couple years ago on a lease deal where we ran steers, he sent Micotil for a mass treat deal my guys handled, so we used it.
That said, we don't stock it. At the end of the day, it is dangerous, compared to its peer group of meds, very dangerous. There are just too many good drugs out there now without all the potential safety concerns that are as good or better.

js1234":1lt0qp4m said:
Stocker Steve":1lt0qp4m said:
Shariah":1lt0qp4m said:
Very true.
We used to use Micotil a lot in the old days as it were.
I partnered with a guy a couple years ago on a lease deal where we ran steers, he sent Micotil for a mass treat deal my guys handled, so we used it.
That said, we don't stock it. At the end of the day, it is dangerous, compared to its peer group of meds, very dangerous. There are just too many good drugs out there now without all the potential safety concerns that are as good or better.
Guess I'm lucky. So far after 50 years and many thousands of shots I've never stuck a needle in my own body, let alone pushed the contents of the syringe into my body.

[/quote]Guess I'm lucky. So far after 50 years and many thousands of shots I've never stuck a needle in my own body, let alone pushed the contents of the syringe into my body.[/quote]

I know from experience with Lute, that you don't have to get a full dose to feel the effects. Now, it is one of the few things I make my husband administer....just holding the bottle gives me the heebie geebies!

Guess I'm lucky. So far after 50 years and many thousands of shots I've never stuck a needle in my own body, let alone pushed the contents of the syringe into my body.

I know from experience with Lute, that you don't have to get a full dose to feel the effects. Now, it is one of the few things I make my husband administer....just holding the bottle gives me the heebie geebies![/quote]
I just don't see how anyone can give themself any dose. I never have my two hands that close together when giving a shot.

Never even a nick? I don't do it administering the shot, it is usually when I'm trying to put the cap back over the needle. Like I said, with Lute, it only takes that little nick.

Micotil works great and is cheap.
I won't have it on my place though.
Last winter on Agtalk one very experienced cattle man was telling how he liked it and it was fine as long as it was handled right. He had some mishap and was buried not on afterwards.
I nicked myself a month ago with something. Happened real easy and wasn't even sticking a cow when it happened.

jedstivers":3f7upmr8 said:
Micotil works great and is cheap.
I won't have it on my place though.
Last winter on Agtalk one very experienced cattle man was telling how he liked it and it was fine as long as it was handled right. He had some mishap and was buried not on afterwards.
I nicked myself a month ago with something. Happened real easy and wasn't even sticking a cow when it happened.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
It can happen all too easily!! :hide:

Boot Jack Bulls":1esbv85q said:
Never even a nick? I don't do it administering the shot, it is usually when I'm trying to put the cap back over the needle. Like I said, with Lute, it only takes that little nick.
Not that I can remember. I use a new needle and syringe for each shot. Started it long ago and just feel it's a good practice.