micotil and LA200

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of micotil reacting with a dose of LA200 and killing an animal?

Had a kid in my 4-H club that brought home a feeder steer from the county fair. It got sick and was dosed with micotil. I reckon the micotil wasn't working fast enough and the calf was then dosed with LA200. Calf is now dead.

Vet said to pump him full of water to get him rehydrated. He had the scoots and a bit of a rumble in his lungs.

I just wondered if the 2 drugs reacted and became leathal or if the illness was just not detected soon enough.

certherfbeef":24iebo00 said:
I just wondered if the 2 drugs reacted and became leathal or if the illness was just not detected soon enough.
We tried using micotil and LA 200 together to treat ear infections in baby holstein steers.We did not have any reactions in them.
It seems that cattle getting sick after coming back from the fair is common.

I'll catch grief for this...but...I really don't think that's what caused the problem.

Alice

For my curiousity please elaborate on the steer's illness if you know details.

We've used LA200 and Micotil on the same animal on quite a few occasions, but never at the same time (day or two apart) and usually with the LA200 given first. If an illness is caught early enough I try to use the lesser antibiotics and then use the more powerful ones if there is no significant response. Micotil is my favorite drug in the cabinet, but I try to stay away from it unless it's necessary.

cfpinz

Strictly my opinion, but if Micotil woudln;t take care of the problemmm LA-200 sure wouldn;t have any affect. That's like driving a 10 penny nail with a regular hammer and then switching to a tack hammer.

A fellow I know buys a good many heifers from stockyard sales. Breeds them and sells them as breds. He treats a number of the newly purched heifers yearly for shipping fever. He always gives Micotil and LA200 simultaneously. He's been doing it for several years. He's very succsessful. His opinion is that the Micotil gives immediate relief to respiratory symptoms and lingering symptons are taken care of by the LA200. Maybe, maybe not. But I don't think the combo hurts. If it did the fellow I know would have figured that out and wouldn't be doing it. I've done it myself 3 or 4 times (on 2-3-4 month old calves) with a good result.

certherfbeef":1kuw3kau said:
Calf is now dead.

Vet said to pump him full of water to get him rehydrated. He had the scoots and a bit of a rumble in his lungs.

Did you follow vets advice? And exactly what did he mean by pumping him full of water? Tubing him? Just trying to get some more info.

OK, here is the scoop as I know it and my opinion interjected just for good measure.

County fair is hard on calves. Between trucking and the stress of the week most come home with a snotty nose.

I did not get the call about this calf till is was all but too late. The vet was called while I was in route. In this area we have no vet that will come to the farm. A phone conversation is the best we can get.
The folks that own these calves are not newbies, just a bit stubborn.

Calf had obvious respiratory distress, the fluid could be heard in the lungs. I'm told micotil was given at first onset of noticable respiratory issues. 24 hours go by and bandimine and LA200 are administered. All proper dosages.

Calf's temp then shot to 106 and when we were drenching him with fluids he started to have what appeared to be a seizure. That lasted maybe 90 seconds. From that point on he was not right. He was slobbering, panting, weezing and was obviously uncomfortable. He did walk back into his pen. He was then slowly soaked with the water hose. Hopeing to bring his temperature down to a manageable level. Over the course of probably 5 hours his temp dropped to 103 and held steady. He seemed to act somewhat normal, drank maybe a gallon of water then laid down. That was the last...he dies about 2 hours later.

he was not the only feeder that was brought home by these folks. Their kids show. The whole group of calves (6 400lb feeders) became ill. Just not to the extent of the one that we lost. They had temps of 103, looked droopy and listless. They drank and ate but were not quite "right". However a yearling in the same group that came from the fair was not affected in any way.
MY THEORY...these calves had not seen grass since they were weaned in july, they only had grain and hay. It is dry here but during the fair (while the little pasture lot was empty) we recieved 1/2 inch of rain and some warm weather. The grass was about 6 inches high when the calves were turned back out a week later. We had also had a frost that week. I think the new growth caused grass tetney and the lack of high mag mineral in their diet contributed to the loss of the calf. I believe the yearling was not effected because she had always had access to grass.

I asked about the drugs reacting to one another just because someone had mentioned loosing several cattle and that was a contributing factor.

Any comments on my theories?

Thanks for the explanation. I'm curious to see what the more experienced folks say but I'll go along with your theory. My opinion is the respiratory bug the calf picked up weakened him a good bit and the grass tetany (if this was the case) finished him off. The combination of the two (or more) stressors on the calf worked together to do him in.

cfpinz

Check out 'Atypical Interstitial Pneumonia' in Cattle, turning the calves out on the lush growth, the heat, dust, all point to this type of pneumonia. Calf's temp was extremely high, might have picked up another bug, too.
http://www.farminfo.org/beef/beef.htm

Latest posts