Mickey Mouse

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
People act wierd under financial pressure.

TOLEDO, Ohio – Residents of Toledo, Ohio, are complaining that they received $25 tickets for parking their vehicles in their own driveways.

Mayor Carty Finkbeiner (FINK'-by-ner) says he stands by the citations handed out last week by the Division of Streets, Bridges and Harbor. He says the tickets were issued under a city law against parking on unpaved surfaces, including gravel driveways.

During a news conference Monday, Finkbeiner ignored a reporter's question of whether the crackdown and fines were related to the city's budget crisis.

The three-term mayor faces a recall vote in November. Critics have claimed he's wasted city money.

City Councilman D. Michael Collins calls the ticketing "Mickey Mouse nonsense." He has told residents he'll try to have the citations rescinded.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_ ... _tickets_1

I'll bet "complaining" is an understatement. They must be furious and with good reason. A ticket for parking in your own driveway?? Stupid move on the part of the mayor if he instigated this. Whoever's bright idea that was oughta get fired.

There's a little township on my commute that makes their money with a speed trap. I can count on my fingers and toes the workdays in the last 15 years they haven't been working their little stretch of the highway. I'll bet they couldn't make any more money with a toll booth. lol

The secret to a speed trap is to catch people from out of town who can't vote you out of office. Funkybinner must have road the short bus or the chief of police is helping him out of office.

It's called "revenue enhancement" by the politicians. It's called typical be nice by the citizens.

We had an article in our local fishwrapper the other day that was talking about how all sources of revenue were down except the municipal court. The local "leaders" don't want to cut services or lay off people, so they were bragging about the municipal court revenue and how they were expecting it to increase.

The ONLY way to increase municipal court revenue is thru police and code department citations.

Tax the poor.......

grannysoo":2k4k3h09 said:
and code department citations.

Tax the poor.......

And penalize those who are trying to construct businesses that might create jobs for working people. Or in other words, "bite the hand that feeds you".

Jogeephus":1sgk26g7 said:
grannysoo":1sgk26g7 said:
and code department citations.

Tax the poor.......

And penalize those who are trying to construct businesses that might create jobs for working people. Or in other words, "bite the hand that feeds you".

They can't bite the hand that feeds them. They have already chewed it off.

Our "leaders" (and I just hate to call them that), have finally figured out that business can move to other places, as many have. They have relaxed a little bit on the business environment, but have really buckled down on traffic violations, quality of life violations, bicycle violations, loitering, etc.

It's getting interesting to see them in a panic...

As a glaring example, California has had an oppressive tax and spend policy for a long time. This has driven businesses and tax payers out of the state leaving an increasing base of recipients. Now they are about 50 days from a financial melt down.

If you want more of something, subsidize it. If you want less of something, tax it.

If you have too much industry in your state, levee enough taxes until they realize it is cost effective to re-locate.

If you want more illegal aliens running across the border and using the emergency rooms as a doctor's office, make laws to grant them further entitlements.

This reminds me of the seat belt law that was supposed to reduce insurance premiums. Did your insurance go down? Mine didn't. I have paid plenty of seat belt fines tho.

backhoeboogie":37s3blg2 said:
This reminds me of the seat belt law that was supposed to reduce insurance premiums. Did your insurance go down? Mine didn't. I have paid plenty of seat belt fines tho.

And that is one law that wears me out... The gov has no right to come into MY CAR and tell me to be safer?
When I fly thru my window I hurt nobody but ME>>>>

Crazy. The next thing they will tell you is that you cant run around in your underwear in the house cause the neighbors may try and sneak a peak????

backhoeboogie":slzwd7mp said:

Boogie...maybe they meant "Life insurance premiums". ;-)

TexasBred":1k1i46v3 said:
backhoeboogie":1k1i46v3 said:

Boogie...maybe they meant "Life insurance premiums". ;-)

I have the max allowed at work. I also have a policy through the bank and another thru the credit union. It is a wonder the boss lady hasn't had me "accidentally" bumped off. She must love me a lot!

Another....

Bureaucrat scuffs dream of homeless shoe shiner

He sleeps under a bridge, washes in a public bathroom and was panhandling for booze money 11 months ago, but now Larry Moore is the best-dressed shoeshine man in the city. When he gets up from his cardboard mattress, he puts on a coat and tie. It's a reminder of how he has turned things around.

In fact, until last week it looked like Moore was going to have saved enough money to rent a room and get off the street for the first time in six years. But then, in a breathtakingly clueless move, an official for the Department of Public Works told Moore that he has to fork over the money he saved for his first month's rent to purchase a $491 sidewalk vendor permit.

"I had $573 ready to go," Moore said, who needs $600 for the rent. "This tore that up. But I've been homeless for six years. Another six weeks isn't going to kill me."

The bureaucrat told Moore that she found out about his business after reading about his success in this paper.

Along Market Street, Moore's supporters are indignant. Nothing happens when mentally ill men wander the street talking to themselves and drunkards pee in the alleys. Yet Moore creates a little business out of thin air, builds up a client base, and the city takes nearly every penny he's earned.

Christine Falvey, spokeswoman for Public Works, said the department's contact with Moore was meant to be "educational."

"We certainly don't want to hamper anyone's ability to make a living," Falvey said. "Our education efforts are actually meant to support that effort by making our streets an enjoyable place for people to visit."

That is unlikely to mollify Moore's clients.

"Nothing like kicking someone when they are down," ranted attorney Loren Lopin, one of Moore's clients who donated $100 to help him get housing. "I am pissed."

Moore is nothing if not dutiful. He attempted to work his way through the byzantine city government channels, although he didn't get much help.

"I guess my gripe is that when the city came by and told him to get his papers in order but couldn't tell him how to do it," said Travis See, who manages the Custom Shop Clothiers on the corner of Market and New Montgomery. "This lady couldn't even tell him which building to go to so he could stand in line and waste all day."

When Moore found the permit application, he got a money order and headed down to the appropriate department to pay. But because he didn't have a valid ID card, they wouldn't take his money.

Could this be any more difficult? Moore doesn't want to get into city housing, preferring to make it on his own. But could you blame him if he gave up, kicked back and settled into a life of panhandling, subsidized housing and soup kitchen meals?

Luckily, Moore has quite a few fans. Lopin recruited a fellow attorney to donate to the first month's rent fund. She lets Moore keep his shoeshine stand in the store so he doesn't have to roll it up from the Bay Bridge exit ramp on Folsom where he sleeps.

Some of them remember Moore from the days when he was pushing a shopping cart down Market Street and holding the door open for customers at McDonald's on the chance they might hand him a quarter.

"As soon as I got that money I ran down and got a bottle," he said. "I took my alcoholism very seriously. I just got to thinking, why not take this seriously too? In 11 1/2 months, I haven't touched a drop."

He's turned into a bit of an institution at Market and New Montgomery. His regulars drop off shoes in the morning and pick them up when they leave the office. Guests at the Palace Hotel have become clients. See said Moore has become so popular that panhandlers swipe his brushes and polish because he's too much competition.

"He's the best thing to happen to this corner in a long time," said See. "It just seems like this process is turning out to be particularly uphill for him."

The only one who isn't furious about this is Moore. He insists that city functionaries are giving him a break because they are letting him continue to shine shoes while he waits for a copy of his birth certificate to be sent from Kansas. Once it arrives they will allow him to get an ID card and then hand over almost every cent he has.

What a deal.

"I'll do whatever they want," Moore said. "But I won't jump through no more of those $491 hoops. Those are getting expensive."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1807UK.DTL

...another of thousands.....

Police goof in raid, city stalls on damages

Andrew Leonard was watching television with his wife not long after returning from Ash Wednesday services when police burst through the front door of his North Baltimore home. He was handcuffed, plunked in a chair and told to keep quiet as officers rifled through the house and interrogated him for 15 minutes about drugs and a dealer he knew nothing about.

As it turned out, police had the wrong house. The man they were looking for lived two doors down.

Leonard, a 33-year-old chemist who has no criminal record, said he and his wife, a 29-year-old credit analyst, were frightened and humiliated by the incident. But for the past two months, he's wanted just one thing from the city: for someone to pay for the damage to his front door.

And he said trying to get the city to help in the aftermath has been even more frustrating than the police's initial mistake.

"My city is not working for us," said Leonard, who has lived in the Medfield neighborhood north of Hampden since October 2007. "We were victimized and now get zero cooperation from every office we deal with."

No-knock raids can be carried out through warrants signed by judges, or by police who determine at the scene that announcing themselves would present a safety threat or lead to the destruction of evidence.

Critics say the confrontational tactic, often involving masked and armed officers, is increasingly being used in situations that don't require such a volatile response.

A 2006 Cato Institute study found that hundreds of raids are conducted nationwide each year at wrong addresses, sometimes resulting in death.

In one highly publicized incident in Maryland last year, a SWAT team rushed the home of the Berwyn Heights mayor and shot and killed his family's two dogs. Police said the mayor and his wife were unsuspecting victims of a marijuana smuggling scheme, but defended the actions of the officers involved in the raid.

The General Assembly passed a law requiring greater accountability for SWAT team use. Leonard said the Berwyn Heights incident flashed in his mind as his dog, an 80-pound chocolate Labrador named Figo, raced upstairs from the basement after police began ramming the door on Feb. 25. After the initial confusion, Leonard said his attention turned toward securing his home.

He nailed his broken door shut and for a time entered and exited the home through the alley. Eventually, he and some relatives did a "fair but amateur" job installing a new door. But he wanted the city to pay for the remaining work.

"I don't think any reasonable person would argue otherwise," Leonard said.

The city denied his claim to be reimbursed for the damage to the door. Leonard said he was told that since the warrant listed Leonard's address, the officers hadn't technically stormed the wrong house.

City Councilwoman Belinda Conaway connected Leonard with the police commissioner's office, who he said promised to follow through as a "good-faith measure." But for the past two weeks his calls have not been returned, he said.

Meanwhile, the old front door sat in the backyard for two months. Leonard said he called the city's bulk trash pickup, but no one came.

The city inspectors who issue tickets for garbage in residents' backyards did, however, and gave him a $50 fine. The door finally was picked up last Thursday.

"There is nothing that is right with this situation," he said. "Nobody deserves this type of treatment from the city."

After inquiries from TheBaltimore Sun, a spokesman for Mayor Sheila Dixon said that Leonard's claims would be forwarded to the Office of Neighborhoods and dealt with "immediately."

"Mr. Leonard's situation is very unfortunate," spokesman Scott Peterson said in an e-mail. "Now that this had been brought to the attention of the Mayor's Office, we will ... respond with the care, attention, and respect that he, like all residents in Baltimore, deserves."

Anthony Guglielmi, a police spokesman, said officials were evaluating procedures followed in the raid. The approximate $1,200 door repair price was high enough to require Board of Estimates approval, a time-consuming process.

"As far as making Mr. Leonard whole, the commissioner is aware of it, and it is in the process," Guglielmi said.

Police eventually arrested the original target of the raid. David Pfister, 35, was arrested on a warrant on March 21 and charged with three counts of drug possession and distribution. In 2001, he pleaded guilty and received a 10-year sentence for drug possession with intent to distribute, though all but 30 days of that sentence was suspended.

Leonard said he isn't angry at the police. One of his best friends is a New York City detective, and Leonard said that he understands that officers put their lives on the line running into dangerous houses. His concern is with the failure of city agencies to follow up.

His view of Baltimore has "definitely" changed, he said, "not because of the break-in, but the lack of action on the back end and the city not owning up to their responsibility" Leonard said. "It's really given me a sour taste".

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 7210.story

...no bail money...83 days in jail...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) - A man arrested for allegedly failing to appear for jury duty was released Saturday after spending 83 days in jail, a length of detention that a judge called "unacceptable."

Douglas Maupin was released a day after The Dallas Morning News brought his plight to the attention of a Collin County judge.

Maupin, a masonry contractor, was arrested Feb. 15 after police pulled him over for speeding. Police then detained him on a 2003 warrant for failure to appear for jury duty.

He wrote a letter to the newspaper about his lengthy jail stay, then said in a jailhouse interview that he, his friends and family could not afford his $1,500 bail.

He said his attempt to get a public defender was rebuffed by a jail clerk.

District Judge Chris Oldner said he was unaware of Maupin's detention until Friday, even though the case was assigned to his court. The judge who signed the original 2003 warrant had retired, and officials said the case was assigned to the court of his replacement but the offense didn't fall under that court's responsibility.

"He should not have spent that much time. This is unacceptable," Oldner told the Morning News. "I don't know why the process failed to notify us."

Oldner also said that Maupin should have been allowed to apply for a public defender.

Maupin, 34, said he just wanted his day in court.

"I do know I have the right to due process and a speedy trial," he said. "I've had neither. It's not right."

The judge said he was "disappointed this has happened," and promised to investigate.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090509/D982S7N80.html

I got a jury summons for Dad week before last. I sure hope they don't arrest him for failure to appear. Course they would need a shovel to dig him up. He died 6 years ago.

1982vett":3so83y9j said:
I got a jury summons for Dad week before last. I sure hope they don't arrest him for failure to appear. Course they would need a shovel to dig him up. He died 6 years ago.

Is he still getting social security checks? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1982vett":2rtt5sd8 said:
No, those stopped real quick. :lol:

The guy that spent 83 days in jail for not serving jury duty later received a speeding ticket. That is how they got him. Just because there is a bench warrant out for your arrest, doesn't mean they come get you. The numbers just don't make it economical because there are some many outstanding.

Just read in the paper that the county south of me is going to charge you $100 for the privelege of using their recycling bins. This will be a yearly permit. I can only imagine what the roads are going to look like in a few months. I'll need to be doing a lot of gate construction for sure.

HerefordSire":2gnxzybm said:
1982vett":2gnxzybm said:
No, those stopped real quick. :lol:

The guy that spent 83 days in jail for not serving jury duty later received a speeding ticket. That is how they got him. Just because there is a bench warrant out for your arrest, doesn't mean they come get you. The numbers just don't make it economical because there are some many outstanding.

In our area, they don't go looking for anyone with a warrant on them unless they are violent. I have several friends in law enforcement and they tell me that the majority of people with warrants against them are arrested in traffic stops. At this time, the statistics are that 50+% of all traffic stops result in an arrest.

Our locals are very aggressive in traffic stops. Between the revenue enhancement citations and the arrests, they keep the courts packed.

Latest posts