MG BULL - OPINIONS

Help Support CattleToday:

TTCLM - Do you have a link of something that lists the breed averages of MG? I was unable to find any, so I didn't have anything to compare his EPD's with.... would appreciate it, thanks!

El_Putzo":2d4vzp0k said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2d4vzp0k said:
Honestly I dont like the way he looks and his epds are crap.

What are the breed average EPDs for MG?

Sorry EL - posting at the same time!

He's a pretty good looking bull other than a prominent growth bone there on his tail head. But he's deep-chested and real long. Not bad at all.

NIce looking bull, would be nice to see more pictures from different angles, a little closer up. Don't pay any attention to ttclm, he has the right to his opinion, but he wouldn't know a good bull if it blew snot in his back pocket. ;-) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1o1ytnx8 said:
Don't pay any attention to ttclm, he has the right to his opinion, but he wouldn't know a good bull if it blew snot in his back pocket. ;-) :cboy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here are the average EBVs for Murray Greys as reported by Breedplan for 2004 calves. All numbers are metric.

Table 3: Average GROUP EBVs for the 2004 drop calves analysed in the 2006
Summer Murray Grey GROUP BREEDPLAN
CEDirect -0.1
CEDtrs -1.0
Gestation Length -0.1
Birth Weight +2.3
Milk +3
200-DayGrowth +14
400-Day Weight +22
600-Day Weight +32
Mature Cow Weight +33
Scrotal Size +0.1
Days to Calving -0.6
Carcase Weight +18
EMA +0.9
Rib Fat -0.1
Rump Fat 0.0
Retail Beef Yield +0.4
IMF% 0.0

Trying to locate the bull LB Grey Kringle in the breedplan database. Will report seperately when found.

OK, guys it hard enough to grab the EPD concept, now your thowing me into a EBV thing? What does that stand for, and does that mean this Kringles EPD are in metric? or not? Thanks for the help, it is all greatly appreciated!

EBVs and EPDs are the same thing but Kringle's EBVs are reported in kilograms (2.2 per pound)

I'm lost guys..... could you help me interpret his EBV's? And bottom line, are they decent or crap? Thanks for the help!

Michele

If you're breeding heifers, use a proven calving ease bull. Heifers who have trouble with that first calf will be slower to breed back. Good luck....

mitchwi":emmeme65 said:
OK, guys it hard enough to grab the EPD concept, now your thowing me into a EBV thing? What does that stand for, and does that mean this Kringles EPD are in metric? or not? Thanks for the help, it is all greatly appreciated!

EBVs are the "estimated breeding values" basically they are 2 times the EPDs. Some large breeders who were particularly gifted mathematically used to calculate them themselves based on inherd weaning ratios. Now the breed associations do all the number crunching at the breed association level and they publish EPDs making the old EBVs redundant.

El putzo, thanks for the correction.

mitchwi, here is a link to the 2006 sire summary for the Murray Grey breed. I just noticed that they have started using the term EPDs (they didn't last year). They are still reported in kilograms as I recognize some of the more well known sires and they haven't changed (willalooka power and pharoah). Based on the EPDs it looks like Kringle is a low birth weight bull with below breed average weaning weight and yearling weight.

http://www.murraygreybeefcattle.com/sires.htm

http://breedplan.une.edu.au/

Try this link for a description of what EBV's are. Breedplan does all the performance work for the Murray Grey breed. Breedplan does report North American animals with EPD values, so I suspect that the numbers published for Kringle are EPDs. I personally do not have a list of what the North American EPD breed averages are, so that is why i copied the EBV averages into a previous reply. I am still looking for the North American values.

Kevin

Latest posts